News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

megalodon molar discovered in santa cruz mountains

Started by sauroid, December 27, 2014, 10:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

triceratops83

They can fly now?

It's hard to imagine a mountain range is made up of rock only ten to twenty million tears old, from the sea floor no less.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Manatee

That is strange. Perhaps it was re-worked (washed out of its original location)?

triceratops83

Nah, the Santa Cruz mountains are formed from Miocene ocean floors pushed up from the San Andreas fault. It just seems unbelievable that in a relatively short time the bottom of the world can reach the top.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Paleogene Pals

Well, we are told that is where he found it or how he found it. If it was lying on the ground, someone could have dropped it there. But, I am also not familiar with the tectonic history of California. Unfortunately, I can see Creationists making hay out of this story.

SBell

The fact that they call it a 'molar' negates the entire story. Sharks don't have molars.

Blade-of-the-Moon

paleoferroequine

The story (  New York Daily News ) says that it is the foothills and that coastal storms had eroded the bluffs and gullies and washed them down where the surf uncovered them on the beach. I suspect the guy might have decided that it was a rear tooth and the reporter figured, "Oh, my back teeth are molars, so that is what these are." ::) Could have been worse, could of said, "Ooh, sharp pointy teeth, must be canines!" To which the other reporter would say, " Canines? I thought these were a shark, you're telling me it's a dog? I'm so confused!!???"   :o

tanystropheus

paleoferroequine

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 27, 2014, 11:19:29 PM
How does the Megalodon fit in Noah's Ark?
Lots easier than a blue whale. Or a kraken. Or cthulhu.   :P

Paleogene Pals

The "molar" thing did through me for a loop, unless it is a new type of chewing Megalodon.

triceratops83

Sounds like a corny movie starring Samuel L Jackson - Shark in an Ark!
"I'm sick of this @#$% Shark on this @#$% Ark!"

SBell

With a lot of thrashing, since it's trying to get back in the water...

tyrantqueen

Quote from: triceratops83 on December 28, 2014, 03:12:21 AM

Sounds like a corny movie starring Samuel L Jackson - Shark in an Ark!
"I'm sick of this @#$% Shark on this @#$% Ark!"
Win ;D

Megalosaurus

Stop making jokes with religion, that would lead to an unwanted situation.
But here's your answer anyway:
According to Gen 6:20 God tell Noah to put in the ark "of the flying creatures according to their kinds, the domestic animals according to their kinds, and all creeping animals of the ground according to their kinds, two of each will go in there to you to preserve them alive."
So no sharks went into the ark according to the history.

Any way megalodons have molars?  Wow, thats really amazing.
But this does not look like a molar to me:

I know, I'm not a dentist.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

SBell

Quote from: Megalosaurus on December 29, 2014, 05:56:04 PM
According to Gen 6:20 God tell Noah to put in the ark "of the flying creatures according to their kinds, the domestic animals according to their kinds, and all creeping animals of the ground according to their kinds, two of each will go in there to you to preserve them alive."

Any way megalodons have molars?  Wow, thats really amazing.
But this does not look like a molar to me:
I know, I'm not a dentist.

We're not making fun of religion. We;re making fun of what the SyFy channel would do with the ridiculous idea of all animals somehow fitting into a boat, along with sharks so that this Megalodon could somehow be up there. We wouldn't want that unwanted situation on TV.

And no, as many of us have already said, sharks don't have molars.

stargatedalek

Just putting this out there, there are theoretically infinite different numbers of variations ranging from different interpretations to even different translations, and its not really fair to accuse someone of bashing religion as a whole just because they make a joke about a particular story that is widely accepted as fiction even amongst religious circles.

Anyway, this is why I don't trust news companies (even small ones) on matters of paleontology, if they can make an error like that who's to say the whole article isn't full of errors or even fictitious.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Megalosaurus on December 29, 2014, 05:56:04 PM

Well, I believe in the esoteric elements of the bible and most other religious scriptures, in varying degrees (i.e. Perennial Philosophy) ...I'm also pro-evolution... so I don't feel that I was making fun of religion, per se.  There are reports (unconfirmed) of Noah's Ark being found on a mountain in Turkey. These Megalodon "molars" were found on a mountain, albeit, Santa Cruz....I simply put two and two together. Sorry for the confusion.

sauroid

*uhm never mind*  :-X
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Paleogene Pals

At the beginning of the new season of Doctor Who, a giant dinosaur was transported to Victorian England by swallowing the TARDIS. Maybe, a giant Meg also swallowed a TARDIS which then materialized in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Since we now know that time-traveling Timelords are real, thank you Internet, we cannot discount this possibility.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: