You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

My Sega dino king T. Rex finally arrived

Started by gfxtwin, January 14, 2015, 01:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gfxtwin

My Sega dino king T Rex finally arrived!  Looks great I think, but sometimes I wonder if the proportions of the head are slightly too small.  Either way, still great figure.

Megalosaurus

Congratulations.
Its a great an big model.
Do you have the triceratops already?
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

DinoLord

This is easily one of my favorite models. The proportions seem to be right (unlike the Triceratops); T. rex individuals do vary somewhat in proportional head size.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Looks great!  I love mine even with it's brighter coloration..lol  Dinolord is right about the skulls, this guy (girl?) is more Sue than Stan. ;)

Gwangi

Congrats! I got mine a few months ago and it was truly a dream come true. I never thought I would find one for a reasonable price. Mine does have some stability issues though, every time it falls over I have a heart attack and worry about it.

gfxtwin

Quote from: Megalosaurus on January 14, 2015, 04:57:08 PM
Congratulations.
Its a great an big model.
Do you have the triceratops already?

Nah, the triceratops looks great but I only got the T-Rex because it's one of the best models of the animal I've ever seen.  It's an affordable vinyl figure with sculpt detail not too far off from a Sideshow statue.  Had to get it.  Maybe I'll pick up the Trike one day too though!

gfxtwin

Quote from: Gwangi on January 14, 2015, 10:47:01 PM
Congrats! I got mine a few months ago and it was truly a dream come true. I never thought I would find one for a reasonable price. Mine does have some stability issues though, every time it falls over I have a heart attack and worry about it.

Can't tell if serious.  Being a flexible vinyl figure, I don't think you have to worry too much about anything breaking, lol.  Unless there is a resin statue located directly below it :p

The stability issues are easily fixed.  My model's legs were kind of bow-legged and bent inwards.  If that's the problem, all you gotta do is use a hair dryer on the legs and hips for about two minutes, grab them and position them correctly, and run the legs and hips under cold water.  Viola!

gfxtwin

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 14, 2015, 07:14:57 PM
Looks great!  I love mine even with it's brighter coloration..lol  Dinolord is right about the skulls, this guy (girl?) is more Sue than Stan. ;)

Hmmm, and yet, according to this image of Sue, I guess it's still not quite right.  The head on the sega is still smaller...or maybe it's just that its legs are too large?

Blade-of-the-Moon

I think the legs are well muscled enough..if you bulk out that skeleton of Sue's it's going to be pretty robust.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: gfxtwin on January 15, 2015, 06:24:44 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on January 14, 2015, 10:47:01 PM

Can't tell if serious.  Being a flexible vinyl figure, I don't think you have to worry too much about anything breaking, lol.  Unless there is a resin statue located directly below it :p

The stability issues are easily fixed.  My model's legs were kind of bow-legged and bent inwards.  If that's the problem, all you gotta do is use a hair dryer on the legs and hips for about two minutes, grab them and position them correctly, and run the legs and hips under cold water.  Viola!
The paint might rub off if it takes a tumble. Also, the fingers and arms are quite fragile and could possibly snap if not handled gently. My Tyrannosaurus is missing a finger because of an accident with its previous owner.

I've seen a couple of SEGA Tyrannosaurus with broken fingers on Yaj before.

gfxtwin

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 15, 2015, 06:40:09 AM
I think the legs are well muscled enough..if you bulk out that skeleton of Sue's it's going to be pretty robust.

The legs are fantastically rendered for sure, but look at the length of the femur on both Rexes and how the Sega rex's legs are longer.  For example, the pelvic protrusion thing under the sue skeleton goes past the knee, whereas the same part on the Sega model stops much higher than the knee.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: gfxtwin on January 15, 2015, 07:55:43 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 15, 2015, 06:40:09 AM

The legs are fantastically rendered for sure, but look at the length of the femur on both Rexes and how the Sega rex's legs are longer.  For example, the pelvic protrusion thing under the sue skeleton goes past the knee, whereas the same part on the Sega model stops much higher than the knee.

The original model it was based on had a larger pubic region, though for some reason in the figure it was revised.

Gwangi

Paint scuffs are what I'm mostly worried about, mine already has one from when it fell over the same day it arrived! Also like TQ pointed out, smaller bits can break off as well.

I've dried the hot/cold treatment already, it didn't work. The legs just warp back to their original position.

tyrantqueen

QuoteI've dried the hot/cold treatment already, it didn't work. The legs just warp back to their original position.
I avoided this problem with my Kaiyodo vinyls by filling the legs with plaster. Vinyl is pretty notorious for warping over time. I am thinking about adding a small amount to my original Tyrannosaurus' legs to improve stability but I haven't had any issues with warping so far. If you can somehow get the legs back to their original stance then fill them with something it may prevent warping in future.

Yours is the reissue right? I haven't heard of many people having a problem with the original release.

Gwangi

Quote from: tyrantqueen on January 15, 2015, 02:40:50 PM
QuoteI've dried the hot/cold treatment already, it didn't work. The legs just warp back to their original position.
I avoided this problem with my Kaiyodo vinyls by filling the legs with plaster. Vinyl is pretty notorious for warping over time. I am thinking about adding a small amount to my original Tyrannosaurus' legs to improve stability but I haven't had any issues with warping so far. If you can somehow get the legs back to their original stance then fill them with something it may prevent warping in future.

Yours is the reissue right? I haven't heard of many people having a problem with the original release.

Thanks for the tip! And yes, mine is the reissue. One of the feet is bent in a little bit. It's not too noticeable but enough for the model to fall over if jostled to much.

gfxtwin

How much time did you spend using a hair dryer on the Rex's legs?  Man, that sentence sounds surreal. Anyway, I heated it up from bottom of foot to top of hip on both legs for two minutes and after pouring cold water on it while holding the legs in the accurate positions, the effect immediately set in and is still holding four days later.  If you only heat the shins and below it might not work.  And TBH the one I got wasn't all that warped (one leg was pretty much ok and the other was more noticeably bow-legged), so that might be another reason why it worked for me I reckon.

Gwangi

I didn't try it for very long, so you might be onto something there. I'll try that again, if I get desperate I might try TQ's plaster method.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.