News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Ikessauro's Repaints

Started by Ikessauro, September 05, 2013, 11:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ikessauro

So, I finally decided to give it a try and painted two spare models I had which were a bid damaged. The first was Invicta Stegosaurus, on which I didn't use any primer. The result was weird, exaggerated and not really good.

The second try was a little better. I took my time to prime it and paint  in layers. I did some dark washes and dry brushes too. Of course, it's an Invicta Triceratops, but you all know that.

Bokisaurus

Nat bad at all :) Of course you have to try your first repaints on Invicta figures, they are one of the hardest material to repaint in my experience! I had a hard time making the paint stick even with primer ;D
I really like the triceratops, nice results with dry brushing on that one. Keep up the good work.

tyrantqueen

These are good for your first try. I like the Trike the most. That Stegosaurus looks like it had a taste of the rainbow ;)

Jetoar

Wonderful friend, I like all  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Gwangi

The Triceratops is really good. The Stegosaurus is pretty cool looking actually.

Ikessauro

Thank you guys. It's quite nice to hear such positive feedback. I'll try to paint another one soon!

copper

i find the stegosaurus quite charming : )

Ikessauro

So, I just finished this repaint. I had this Safari T.rex double laying around, which had the previous owner's name written in it's belly. The tip of the tail is a little damaged to, so I decided to practice my skill on it. Here's the result. I still have to find some sort of clear glossy varnish to add to the eyes and mouth so they look wet. I would appreciate tips and comments on the repaint, but keep in mind this is just the third repaint I did, so I've still have a lot to learn.

Before

After

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus

I like your repaints, Ikessauro!
"I believe implicitly that every young man in the world is fascinated with either sharks or dinosaurs."
-Peter Benchley

Ikessauro

I finally got sometime to paint a little. I bought a airbrush so I decided to test it and learn  bit, thus the choice of a cheap chinasaur to practice.
Used water soluble acrylics, airbrush for the body, common thin brush for the details like stripes, eyes and toe nails.

Pachyrhinosaurus

That's nice. The overall color scheme and layout reminds me of the Ford Explorers from Jurassic Park.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Ikessauro

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on January 09, 2015, 01:40:12 AM
That's nice. The overall color scheme and layout reminds me of the Ford Explorers from Jurassic Park.

Thanks, and you are right. I did copy the color scheme from the Explorer.

triceratops83

How did you like airbrushing? Are there any advantages over using a brush?
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Ikessauro

Quote from: triceratops83 on January 09, 2015, 04:26:50 AM
How did you like airbrushing? Are there any advantages over using a brush?

I did enjoy painting with the airbrush. It has its pros and cons and I observed. Since I only tried it once, this is what I think.

Pros are: you can save on paint by applying thinner paint coats, this is good because it doesn't obscure any details. Also it's faster than with a brush.
You also get to make good transitions between colors,  the gradients look better and uniform. You can make soft details, like stripes, spots, shadows on the lower areas that look more natural.

Cons: You need to dilute the paint very well to make sure the airbrush won't be obstructed. You have a bit of extra work in putting it together if it wasn't already, diluting the paint and cleaning it afterwards also means more work.
You can't make solid details or very small details like eyes or claws, nails and stuff, but that's not really much trouble, I actually prefer to make it with a brush.

Jetoar

triceratops83

Thanks for the tips Ikessauro, I'm gonna have to give it a try one of these days.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.