News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Lovely lovely pliosaurs

Started by DinoToyForum, March 30, 2012, 12:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueKrono

We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

DinoToyForum

What a fine collection, BlueKrono!

Is there an easy way to distinguish between the MPC and Winneco versions of the Kronosaurs? Are they marked?

BlueKrono

There sure is. Pictured are MPC on the left and Winneco on the right. Winneco is just slightly smaller and has a shiny, waxy skin where the MPC is more matte. But by far the easiest way to tell the difference is that Winnecos have that pronounced bend in the neck, while MPCs follow the more outstretched stance of Marx (and both are much smaller than Marx Kronos). Winnecos and MPCs are often listed interchangeably on eBay, especially by non-collectors, but that brokeneck look is a sure sign of a Winneco.

We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

DinoToyForum

Thanks! On this basis I need to seek out a Winneco Kronosaurus to add to my collection. :D

I appreciate the helpful comparision!

BlueKrono

I've got half a dozen, but alas, no doubles. Winneco seems not to have been quite as prolific as MPC or Marx, and the company itself is lesser known, so Winnies will often be sold advertised as one of the other two.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: BlueKrono on October 05, 2016, 09:17:09 AM
I've got half a dozen, but alas, no doubles. Winneco seems not to have been quite as prolific as MPC or Marx, and the company itself is lesser known, so Winnies will often be sold advertised as one of the other two.

I'll keep my eyes peeled. It will be easier now that I know the difference. Cheers!

DinoToyForum

My new biggest plesiosaur - the new pliosaur by 'Fast Champ' being sold in UK by T.K.max. My parents picked this one up for me in store and It'll be wrapped up for me for Xmas ;)

I asked them to take a look in store when I noticed the figure go online. It is available for a pretty reasonable £7.99:

http://www.tkmaxx.com/vehicles+action-toys/blue-plesiosaur-toy/invt/45026380

Silvanusaurus

Interesting... do they make any others? I seem to find marine reptile toys much more appealing when they are of a huge size.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on October 21, 2016, 08:37:26 PM
Interesting... do they make any others? I seem to find marine reptile toys much more appealing when they are of a huge size.

Fast Champ made a plesiosaur that I'd love to get my hands on. See: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=16.msg40455#msg40455 But it seems to be out of production now. I don't know if they currently make any others. There are other dinosaurs on the T.K.Max site, but it doesn't specify the brand. I guess they are also Fast Champ. e.g. http://www.tkmaxx.com/vehicles+action-toys/brown+orange-stegosaurus-toy/invt/45144780

Bokisaurus

Safari's 2017 reboot of Kronosoaurus!
Beautifully sculpted and huge!
I just wish that they colored the inner cheek a different color instead of white, the white just looks weird to me ;D
This guys is on record as having the largest tongue of any figure that I know of, it's just HUGE! ;D

AcroSauroTaurus

I am the Dinosaur King!

Halichoeres

One of only two Brachauchenius figures I know of, from the Chialu line. I believe these were made in the 1950s out of a composite material that included bonemeal.

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

DinoToyForum

I hadn't heard of this line before.

Halichoeres

DC has a page about them, although the name is erroneously given as "Chilau."

http://www.dinosaurcollectorsitea.com/chilau.htm

There is also a Kronosaurus with the Marx-style too-long neck! I don't have that one.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

BlueKrono

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 07, 2019, 04:50:33 PM
One of only two Brachauchenius figures I know of, from the Chialu line. I believe these were made in the 1950s out of a composite material that included bonemeal.

My most wanted figure! 😖

Don't you think the plastic Brauch is more accurate?

Halichoeres

Quote from: BlueKrono on May 08, 2019, 04:38:11 AM

My most wanted figure! 😖

Don't you think the plastic Brauch is more accurate?

The Innovative Kids version definitely is more accurate. The Chialu has a weird tail with whale-like flukes, for example, and the head is shaped really oddly. But the IK one is so tiny it just made no sense on my shelf. I think it's something like 1:120, whereas this one is about 1:70, which I can live with.

The minute another company makes this genus, this one will be up for grabs. In the meantime, I would trade it and a modest amount of cash for a) Lanier's Climatius or b) Henkel/Ovomaltine's Pterichthys.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.