You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

detecting sexual dimorphism on dinosaur fossils and their courting habits

Started by sauroid, April 04, 2015, 06:13:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

reinier zwanink

Sounds very logic to
Nice to see they are getting closer
Cant imagine this on a sauropode thou

Tyto_Theropod

This is a fascinating piece of research, but how do we know it was the males who did the displaying? Of course we can infer that, because it's true in modern birds, but it could have been the other way round for all we know...  >:D
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

sauroid

i have never read any studies nor seen videos of female birds displaying gaudy plumage and courting males. even among lower vertebrates namely reptiles and fish, the males are the ones more elaborately designed and more active in pursuing the females during breeding. correct me if im wrong. :)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Halichoeres

Usually the males are the gaudier ones, but not always. Among birds, phalaropes and jacanas spring to mind as examples where females are more colorful and mate with multiple males, and the males do all the brooding. There might be others, but those are the only ones I know.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

stargatedalek

Its an interesting theory but there just so many unknowns that it really can't prove anything for certain. What's to tell us that the extra flexibility wasn't a medical condition? Or perhaps a (well) healed injury? There are just so many unknowns that it feels incredibly premature to go assuming one was male.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: sauroid on April 04, 2015, 03:18:01 PM
i have never read any studies nor seen videos of female birds displaying gaudy plumage and courting males. even among lower vertebrates namely reptiles and fish, the males are the ones more elaborately designed and more active in pursuing the females during breeding. correct me if im wrong. :)
Red Phalaropes do.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.