News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

My modified Horizon JP Brachiosaur

Started by Paleogene Pals, January 01, 2014, 08:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoLord

Blade-of-the-Moon

kreativtek

Never pictured sauropods like this, but I absolutely love the idea. Thanks to spikes and loose jowl, the model contrast nicely with the popular conception that sauropods were the elephants of the past.

As far as painting is concerned, I'd suggest a palette of neutral colours. Dark gray for the upper part of the body and maybe sandy for the belly. The neck and the head could be of a different colour, for example red or vivid brown to catch attention of the opposite sex for mating (like birds).

Paleogene Pals

Thanks everyone for your encouragement and kind words, I am not happy with the musculature on one side of the neck. Furthermore, I plan on carving more folding into the "jowls" on the underside of the neck, especially where the neck meets the body. I also want to do some more work on the wrinkling on the neck and sand the spines smooth. Finally, I am going to add some small pterosaurs to eat the parasites that have infested my poor brach's skin. I need to just get started back on this project again, but there are so many projects and ideas in my head that I keep flitting from one to the other, whatever excites me at the moment. I have sculptures that I am still working on after five to six years.

Kreativek, thanks for the suggestion; I will put it to use. I think that a dark topside and light sandy underside can be visually striking. But, I think the skin flaps and nostril areas will be a bright vivid color. Dinosaurs likely could see in a wide range color and so may have been brightly colored in some areas. Painting them gray like an elephant really doesn't work because mammals have poorer color vision, except for when I eat the mushrooms behind my house.  8)

kreativtek

Small pterosaurs are a great idea, I love it. You could also add some tiny dinosaurs running between the dinosaur's skin, for both extra value and visual size comparison. Here's what I have in mind.

Tamiya triceratops diorama

Paleogene Pals

Yup, I'm planning on doing a diorama with the brachio feeding on a tree of some sort. Along the bottom, I would have fallen foliage being fed upon by the smaller herbivores.

Meso-Cenozoic

I just saw this too. It is simply stunning so far! Can't wait to see the finished model.

Alexxitator

Wow, you are working on the same base material I am, but you are huge leaps ahead of my creativity  :)
Great work!
To kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes even better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact.
-Charles Darwin-

Paleogene Pals

Due to my recent acquisitions of the Sideshow Apatosaurus, TD models Camarasaurus (sculpted by Shane Foulkes), and Jason Carriere's Amargasaurus and soon-to-be acquisition of Lu Feng Shan's Diplodocus, I have been inspired, yet again, to work on my Brachiosaurus and make some corrections and changes I have been wanting to make for awhile. For most of last year, it sat forlorn in my basement while I was distracted by projects and other things. I intend to post pics of my new WIP once I get started. I also will post pics of the other sauropods as soon as I can. I'm getting stoked for finishing this beast and start painting!  8)

Paleogene Pals

Thanks Alexxitator! Keep working on your sculpting, and you will be there too!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Awesome been waiting to see you tackle this guy again!

Doug Watson

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 03, 2015, 05:40:44 PM

I can't see the photos anymore for some reason plus I can't see your banner either Blade.

Paleogene Pals

I think the photos from older posts don't show anymore...I think.

Here ya go...

BTW, any suggestions Doug would be most appreciated! It would be awesome to input from one of the greats! Or anyone else for that matter since there are so many talented artists on here.  :)

Doug Watson

Quote from: Paleogene Pals on May 03, 2015, 07:56:48 PM
I think the photos from older posts don't show anymore...I think.

Here ya go...

BTW, any suggestions Doug would be most appreciated! It would be awesome to input from one of the greats! Or anyone else for that matter since there are so many talented artists on here.  :)

Looks great, I don't think you need any help from me. It's your vision go for it.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Doug Watson on May 03, 2015, 07:09:22 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 03, 2015, 05:40:44 PM

I can't see the photos anymore for some reason plus I can't see your banner either Blade.

Odd...

Edit:  fixed it. Facebook where I host my pics changes the locations every so often and you have to update them.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 04, 2015, 06:21:42 AM
Odd...

Edit:  fixed it. Facebook where I host my pics changes the locations every so often and you have to update them.

Yup, that worked.

Paleogene Pals

Wow! Thanks Doug! I'll post WIP pics as soon as I fix some of the musculature on the neck.

Dinomike

That is one awesome and HUGE model!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Paleogene Pals

Thanks Dinomike! I have to be careful when I work on it because the tail likes to knock things over. I've got almost four feet of model there!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.