News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Evening all

Started by macrocephale, May 02, 2015, 01:00:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

macrocephale

Hey everyone.

I'm a UK based postgraduate palaeontologist working (read: volunteering) at the museum out admin and overlord works at. I'm also affiliated with the UKafh group.
I'm currently working on shark-based things with my first paper well underway although of course have a huge passion for a huge range of extinct animals encompassing all bar dogs, spores, acritarchs, forams and most importantly graptolites. They can really just beeeeeep off..

I'm on Twitter also as at (insert Star Wars quote here) @Macrocephale although I only use it sparingly- but there is the occasional palaeo tweet from me, at the moment likely relating to the documenting of my fossil collection which is underway. Two days and currently at 500 specimens.

Anyway, Dr admin mentioned the diorama contest to me a few weeks ago and so I'm here to enter that and whatnot. In a few weeks time you may come across a special Jurassic World related game from the two of us, possibly with a (purposefully naff) prize.

Although for now my first mission is to choose a .gif for my signature. What do people think of the following: http://i.imgur.com/JTSt3Ae.gif http://i.imgur.com/qn0Wu7K.gif https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Jo89QrLYdxQ/T-IbKu_EKJI/AAAAAAAABEw/SZa2Y5yH7J8/s500/Maxi-Ramsey.gif

Later y'all,
Bob.

(My name isn't Bob)
Microvertebrate palaeontologist.

From the UK? Check out the UKafh!

Halichoeres

Hello and welcome! Graptolites are fantastically weird little creatures--one of my friends works on them and has shown me all sorts of cool things about them. I'd be interested in what sort of shark things you're doing, as a fellow would-be fish scholar.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

macrocephale

Eh, they're cool for a little while. But as part of a 3rd year undergrad module we had to count and identify roughly 500 to make a range chart for each species and it got old very, very fast. 95% of the class now has a passionate loathing for graptolites, while two students are now doing graptolite based postgraduate studies. The fools.

As far as I go, my masters was on the Oxford Clay on what I call the "Member formerly known as Lower" (The Peterborough Member), on various fishy things, and I 'accidentally' came across a new species of shark (first recording of the genus outside of a single country in mainland Europe too- don't want to say too much  ;)) as well as a weird-ass denticle. And I mean weird-ass.

I would very much like to move away from fish however. Sharks I'm good with, but beeeeep fish. Seriously.

How about your work?

Halichoeres

Well, never having had to count their little thecae or anything, I never developed that loathing.

I felt about mammals the way you feel about fish after having done some things with opossums and Philippine shrew rats for several years. Now I study tetras (extant, not fossil). Mostly molecular phylogenetics and historical biogeography (okay, so fossils play SOME role in my work...).
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

DinoToyForum

Welcome 'Bob'!

Good to see you here, welcome to the forum!

I'm sure a post about your Jurassic World bingo idea would go down well here. There might even be a few contributors...  :))

Dinomike

Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Jetoar

Welcome to DTF new friend  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Arul

macrocephale

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 02, 2015, 01:23:19 AM
Well, never having had to count their little thecae or anything, I never developed that loathing.

Count yourself very, very, very, very, very, very lucky.

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 02, 2015, 01:23:19 AM
I felt about mammals the way you feel about fish after having done some things with opossums and Philippine shrew rats for several years. Now I study tetras (extant, not fossil). Mostly molecular phylogenetics and historical biogeography (okay, so fossils play SOME role in my work...).

Fossil tetras? I weep for you. I was finding tiny crappy pieces of bone from fish from 50 to 300cm long, I can't imagine what isolated tetra bones would look like.

Quote from: dinotoyforum on May 02, 2015, 09:26:09 AM
I'm sure a post about your Jurassic World bingo idea would go down well here. There might even be a few contributors...  :))

I guess once the list is up to a nice round number I'll make a post somewhere? Where'd be the best sub?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: macrocephale on May 06, 2015, 01:38:39 AM
I guess once the list is up to a nice round number I'll make a post somewhere? Where'd be the best sub?

Forum games, probably.