You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Old Prehistoric Galleries at the National Museum of Natural History

Started by suspsy, July 09, 2015, 01:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triceratops83

Great photos, Suspsy, thanks for sharing these. I love seeing galleries of museums I'll likely never get to.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

suspsy

Well, you'll definitely never see these particular displays, but presumably all of the mounts will be part of the new galleries when they open in 2019.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

suspsy

Teleoceras and Stegomastodon.

Moropus.

Eremotherium.

Glyptodon.

Dire wolves.

Paramylodon and Smilodon.

suspsy

suspsy

Almost done! Here's Megaloceros, with a mastodon and a moa in the background.

Mastodon.

A preserved bison calf.

Woolly mammoth.

And finally, a Neanderthal funeral.

So those are, or were, the NMNH's prehistoric galleries. They are now extinct like the creatures they contained. But the galleries will re-open in 2019 with an all-new look. In the mean time, it's still well worth visiting the NMNH if you happen to be in Washington DC. The Human Evolution hall and the wildlife galleries are great. And there are a few dinosaurs on temporary display. Can't have a natural history museum without them!

Viking Spawn

Nice collection of photos!  I'll have to add this place to my bucket list by 2019!  Thanks for sharing!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.