You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Old Prehistoric Galleries at the National Museum of Natural History

Started by suspsy, July 09, 2015, 01:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Hello all,

The NMNH is currently renovating its prehistoric halls, with a scheduled re-opening date in 2019. I thought I would share my extensive collection of photos from my trip to Washington DC in the summer of 2013. The old halls were definitely in need of updating, but dang, they were awesome!

Paleozoic life diorama

Paracarcinosoma

Eurypterus

Pterygotus

Time to crawl ashore!

Much more to come!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Halichoeres

Almost all of this was closed last time I was in Washington; I was so bummed. Some Cenozoic stuff was still accessible, but the dinosaurs were completely off exhibit and the marine reptiles section was only visible through a porthole in a door. I made out what I thought was an Archelon shell, but hard to be sure at that distance. So I appreciate the photos to show me what I missed!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

Moving on to reptiles now. Here are some Carboniferous denizens.

The bizarrely proportioned Cotylorhynchus.

Edaphosaurus.

Dimetrodon.

Stay tuned!

suspsy

And now it's time for the dinosaurs! First up, Ceratosaurus.

Allosaurus.

Stegosaurus.

John

Yes the old halls were awesome!But as much as I'm going to miss it,I can't wait to see the new updated hall when it finally opens.Only this time there will be a noticeable new addition to the dinosaurs,the skeleton of Tyrannosaurus rex utilizing actual fossils rather than just a cast. ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

suspsy

Outdated, but fantastic Stegosaurus sculpture.

Camptosaurus.

Thescelosaurus.

Centrosaurus.

Pachycephalosaurus and Stegoceras.

Albertosaurus and Edmontosaurus.

suspsy

DinoLord

Thanks for posting your pictures! I went here as a kid and loved it, especially the big Diplodocus. I look forward to the new exhibition; from the concept image I've seen it looks quite good.

suspsy

suspsy

Hatcher the Triceratops.

Nedoceratops.

suspsy

And now my favourite part of the galleries, Stan the T. rex! This was the first time I'd ever seen a Stan cast in person. It's a fantastic mount.

suspsy

And here are a couple of totally vintage miniature dioramas. First, the Jurassic.

And the Cretaceous.

That's it for dinosaurs, but there's still ocean life and prehistoric mammals to come!

Crackington

Beautiful photos, looked like a great museum. I hope they do a good job on the re-vamped exhibits.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Excellent photos! I was there two years back and it is spectacular. I took lots of photos, so if you miss posting anything I might be able to put some up. One thing that annoyed me was that I spent quite some time trying to find the second level of the dinosaur gallery only to discover that it was separate with a stairway behind the stegosaurus which I only noticed in a photo after I got home. Still was a really nice exhibit.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

suspsy

The second level was closed off entirely when I visited the NMNH. Indeed, I think the galleries shut down about a month after my visit.

suspsy

And now it's time to take a dip in the seas!

Tylosaurus, Clidastes (skull), and Hesperonis.

Toxochelys and Protostega.

Dolichorhynchops.

Metaxytherium and Xiphiacetus.

Spheniscus.

Acrophoca.

Zygorhiza.

Pelagornis.

Squalicorax. Beautifully preserved!

Hybodus, Xiphactinus, and other ancient fish.

Halichoeres

That Protostega must have been the turtle I saw through the port-hole last year! Thanks for posting, Suspy!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

There are also some prehistoric creatures in the Sant Ocean Hall.

Dunkleosteus.

Helicoprion whorl.

C. megalodon jaws.

Ambulocetus.

Dorudon.

Basilosaurus.

Llanocetus and the evolution of baleen.

>:D

suspsy

And now at last we come to the Cenozic era!

Uintatherium.

Gastornis.

Hesperocyon, the oldest known dog.

Megacerops.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: