News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Asking for recommendation

Started by Arul, July 19, 2015, 04:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arul

Hello, my next wishlist is from prehistoric mammals species. Im looking for woolly mamoth, baby woolly mammoth, woolly rhino, and smilodon. For the rhino and mammoth maybe im going to buy papo (woolly rhino, baby mammoth) and carnegie (woolly mammoth), and smilodon i definitely choose collecta. How about the woolly rhino papo scientific accuration is that good ? And for carnegie woolly mammoth is the tusk in the correct position or did it has some innacurate part of it body ? Same question for papo baby mamoth. The detail and paintjob from all of them are looking good i think. You can give me advice for another rhino or mammoth figure from other company it will be very appreciated

Thanks  :)

DinoLord

The Carnegie Woolly mammoth is a very accurate model. As for woolly rhinos, I'm a fan of the Bullyland model.

Another nice mammoth figure is the Dinotales Series 4 Palaeoloxodon.

tanystropheus

I would go with the Carnegie Mammoth. Stay away from the Papo Mammoths - they are horrible  :-[ . Unless, you can get a hold of the discontinued Papo Columbian Mammoth (Papo "Running" Mammoth). It even sports reddish hair, years before it was confirmed by science that Mammoths had reddish hair!!

The Papo Woolly Rhino is quite good, but you may need to mod the horn with epoxy or something. The horn is incorrectly shaped.

The Papo Smilodon is decent, but not spectacular. If only Mr. Seo sculpted it  :-\
My favorite Smilodon is by Tyco, but I'm not sure how accurate it is. The 'Missing Links" and Mojo versions look interesting (they both feature a somewhat stocky aesthetic).
Comparison of Papo Smilodon vs. Mojo Smilodon:
http://i26.servimg.com/u/f26/15/16/28/85/papo_s14.jpg
"Missing Links" Smilodon:
http://www.dinosaurcollector.150m.com/CSafari_files/3405-61-Sabre-Toothed-Tiger.jpg

RobinGoodfellow

I'm a big fan of Megafauna.
On my opinion the best Mammoth is from Carnegie.
The Papo running Mammoth is great but very hard to find.
For the Woolly Rhino I would go with the Safari Missing Links ( http://www.ebay.it/itm/151736249793?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT ).
The most spectacular Smilodon is the AAA ( http://www.ebay.it/itm/FREE-SHIPPING-AAA-35000-Large-Saber-Tooth-Tiger-Prehistoric-Smilodon-NIP-/201280910110?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2edd46f31e )

Arul

Thank you Tany, Robin, and DinoLord, yes im planning to get carnegie mammoth for sure. For the woolly rhino, everthing dinosaur said it have flat anterior horn, its not pointed, but honestly i like pointed horn  :D  ohh so mammoth have reddish hair ? emm what do you think guys do i have to custom those papo and carnegie ?  :-\ still confuse about the smilodon, did they lived in cold area that time ? It will help me to decide what smilodon that im gonna buy bobcat-based or lion-based. Because usually bobcat live in cold area right ?

Yutyrannus

Quote from: ARUL on July 19, 2015, 11:44:19 PM
ohh so mammoth have reddish hair ? emm what do you think guys do i have to custom those papo and carnegie ?  :-\
Mammoths could have reddish brown, dark brown, almost black, or even blonde hair. Hair color in mammoths seems to have varied between individuals.

Quote from: ARUL on July 19, 2015, 11:44:19 PM
still confuse about the smilodon, did they lived in cold area that time ? It will help me to decide what smilodon that im gonna buy bobcat-based or lion-based. Because usually bobcat live in cold area right ?
Smilodon did not live in particularly cold areas, although they probably weren't extremely warm either.

Bobcats live pretty much anywhere, climate doesn't really seem to affect them much. Here in Utah, it can be absolutely freezing in the winter, and incredibly hot in the summer, but there are plenty of bobcats here, same goes for Arizona, which is hot pretty much year-round. I think it is more other lynx species that live mainly in cold climates.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Arul

Thank you Yutyrannus. Ohh okay so climate isnt affect so much. How about the tail of smilodon ? Modern lion dont have a short tail, could smilodon is actually bobcat-based ?

Halichoeres

Quote from: ARUL on July 20, 2015, 12:50:43 AM
Thank you Yutyrannus. Ohh okay so climate isnt affect so much. How about the tail of smilodon ? Modern lion dont have a short tail, could smilodon is actually bobcat-based ?
It sounds like you're wondering whether the spotted pattern of the CollectA Smilodon is more likely to be accurate than any of the many tan versions. I wouldn't worry about that too much. The following five species are more closely related to each other than to other cats, and their coloration is wildly different:

There is variation in the lengths of their tails, but nothing as short as Smilodon. Looking at short-tailed things, caracals are the color of sand, but lynx are mostly gray with faint spots. I might be wrong, but as far as I know, we have no direct evidence of the coloration of Smilodon, so I would humbly suggest that you go with whatever you think looks good.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

RobinGoodfellow

Comparisons

Smilodon:

( Up: AAA , Collecta / Middle: Geoworld , Papo , Mojo Fun , Wild Safari , Bullyland , Schleich / Down: Bullyland )

Mammoth:

( Up: Collecta , Carnegie / Down: Papo , Wild Safari , Schleich

Coelodonta:

( Left: Papo / Right: Safari Missing Links )

Arul

Good pict Robin that AAA smilodon is the most beautiful in that pict  :) i choose carnegie mammoth and papo woolly rhino.

Halichoeres, emm actually im not considering the color of smilodon but the anatomy of the body of smilodon, did it appear to be a lion (i will choose papo or AAA) or bobcat/lynx/tiger (i will choose collecta, safari) . But i like the analogy of smilodon coloration that you just explained it give me more idea thanks

Halichoeres

Great pics as always, Robin! Really nice to have them all to compare in one shot.

Arul, no problem. Sorry to have misunderstood your question!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Arul

yes that collecta smilodon is beautiful. Emm anyone know the size of AAA smilodon in Cm ?

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: ARUL on August 01, 2015, 03:19:00 AM
yes that collecta smilodon is beautiful. Emm anyone know the size of AAA smilodon in Cm ?

AAA made 2 versions of Smilodon: a big one and a smaller one.
The big version is the one in my collection (and in my pictures).
The small version:  http://monsterhousehk.com/products.asp?id=801
The big one is 28 cm long, 13 cm high and 6,5 cm wide.
It is really BIG and detailed; an impressive figure.
But it's out of production.
There is an Ebay seller in Texas with 1  AAA Smilodon left.... Good luck.

Arul

Oh man i really love the big one...

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.