News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Baryonyx's customs: Ouranosaurus!

Started by Baryonyx, September 09, 2021, 12:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baryonyx

Welcome to my Ouranosaurus Thread

I have wanted an Ouranosaurus for a while (and actually have managed to get the Battat recently, though it is currently waiting for me on the other side of the world). I have done a couple of repaint customs which I can share too, but I thought I would have a go at sculpting.

I started months ago but only recently came round to doing the head. It is not completely finished but I was impatient to share it!
I have a feeling that now I have finally gotten round to it, a fantastic PNSO version will be announced...

In typical first-time-dinosaur-sculpting, I started with a Scott Hartman skeletal. Underneath is a wire armature with kitchen foil and the first layer is some Sculpey. (It changed colour a bit in the baking process)

Milliput is a cheaper medium and is what I used for most of the figure. It is a two part epoxy putty and is very versatile - but you really have to get used to how quickly it starts setting. I don't have that many in-progress photos so here is the more or less finished thing:

Some notes; I really went for the 'non-shrink-wrapped-tail' with the tail base being basically as wide as the hips. I think it looks credible (apart from being a bit wobbly and not quite symmetrical). I'm not sure if this volume is over the top or not. As for beefiness in general, I think the front limbs and neck for example could be thicker.
The head doesn't quite have that little ridge above the eyes that seems to be typical of Ouranosaurus' skull and I might add this on. I was a bit stuck with the head and ended up basically modelling it on the Ouranosaurus from BBC Planet Dinosaur. I took a couple of texture stamps from the PNSO Corythosaurus and tried using rice grains for the toe nails (though a couple have already snapped!). The 'hands' are not finished.

Thank you for looking!

Dusty Wren

This looks awesome! You've managed to pack a lot of good texture and detail into such a small sculpture. The thick tail seems reasonable to me, but I'm a fan of beefy hadrosaurs and iguanodonts :))

Quote from: Baryonyx on September 09, 2021, 12:56:37 PM
I have a feeling that now I have finally gotten round to it, a fantastic PNSO version will be announced...

Tell me about it. I was in the planning stages of an Olorotitan sculpt when they released Ivan.
Check out my customs thread!

Lanthanotus

Looking good, Baryonox, with a promising level of detail. My only point would be the right forelimb with the sideward facing fingers. I think in Hartmann`s skeletal it is the last digit of each finger and tehier nails, planted on the ground, but I anyway have an opinion on this very front heavy reconstruction. Am curious what it will look like when painted, keep us updated :)

triceratops83

Wow, absolutely gorgeous! I actually thought it was a mass produced figure you were tinkering with when I first looked at this thread, then scrolled up and realized you'd made it from scratch. Very professional looking!
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Shonisaurus

You have been from a movie. That figure is a beauty, I can't wait to see the figure fully painted.

Baryonyx

Thank you avatar_Dusty Wren @Dusty Wren avatar_triceratops83 @triceratops83 , avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus , avatar_Lanthanotus @Lanthanotus for your kind words!

avatar_Lanthanotus @Lanthanotus , yes the last joint 'fingernails' are missing from the right hand! (also its small finger) I hope it will make sense when I add those on.

I have seen Ouranosaurus may have been bipedal, does anyone know about this?

I will update once I have given it a paint scheme!

Thank you again ;D

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.