News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

JP T. rex Alternatives?

Started by Dinoguy2, June 24, 2015, 11:55:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinoguy2

Based on some recent posts in the Rebor thread, I wondered if maybe the reason so many toy companies copy the JP T. rex sculpt is not only because it's popular, but because it's one of the only resources for an already fleshed out 3D version of T. rex that's widely viewable from many different angles. Sculptors may want a "short cut" rather than building up flesh on bony realistically and base it on work that's already been done, they assume, scientifically.

If that's the case, what might be some better alternatives? The first thing that came to mind for me is Kent Stevens' iconic sculpture of T. rex seen here:
http://ix.cs.uoregon.edu/~kent/paleontology/binocularVision/

Somebody also mentioned the sideshow T. rex, but even that seems to be fairly JP inspired.

Tyler Keillor's Jane sculpture would also be a much more accurate starting point. http://www.tylerkeillor.com/jane-tyrannosaur/

Anything else that would work?

The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Blade-of-the-Moon

Depends on which Sideshow one your looking at. The very first in the Trike VS Rex dio had a JP vibe. David and Jorge's didn't to me though.

It's hard to find good images but Hall Train did some really nice Rexes.   Shane is close to coming out with a new one too that looks really good.

Kayakasaurus

I like to look at David Krents 3D renderings as well as an accurate app called Dinosaur Zoo which has multiple 3D models, But nothing beats starting from the bones and working up. That's how new looks and original interpretations come up, it's a bummer people fallback on JP
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

stargatedalek

Paleona

Oh, I really like the new Saurian T.rex design!  You can check out the concept art version of it here: http://arvalis.deviantart.com/art/Saurian-T-rex-Infographic-556213086 

Hopefully there will be a 3D test of it soon for us to see.  :)

Monkeysaurus

I wouldn't mind a feathered Rex if it looked like the one you posted stardalek, that's pretty cool. I hope someone comes out with a figure like that. Dinoguy, the link you provided, the one about "Jane", I never knew there was confusion about her identity. Thanks for posting. What do you guys think of the Rex on Dinosaur Revolution? I thought that one was pretty cool.
Just because I have a short attention span doesn't mean

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Monkeysaurus on August 26, 2015, 08:02:32 PM
I wouldn't mind a feathered Rex if it looked like the one you posted stardalek, that's pretty cool. I hope someone comes out with a figure like that. Dinoguy, the link you provided, the one about "Jane", I never knew there was confusion about her identity. Thanks for posting. What do you guys think of the Rex on Dinosaur Revolution? I thought that one was pretty cool.

Well, Jane is identical to the type specimen of Nanotyrannus, so anybody who believes in Nano must also believe Jane is not a juvenile T. rex. If you believe Jane is a juvenile T. rex, you can't believe Nano is real. So it's not so much confusion as disagreement.

Monkeysaurus

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on August 26, 2015, 09:07:20 PM
Well, Jane is identical to the type specimen of Nanotyrannus, so anybody who believes in Nano must also believe Jane is not a juvenile T. rex. If you believe Jane is a juvenile T. rex, you can't believe Nano is real. So it's not so much confusion as disagreement.
I just looked it up and indeed you are correct. The most up to date scientific consensus, according to what I just read, points to Nanotyrannus being a separate genus and not a juvenile T-Rex. The last I remembered reading about Jane, which was a while ago, had the opposite conclusion. Good to know.
Just because I have a short attention span doesn't mean

Gwangi

I loved the Tyrannosaurus design used for "Dinosaur Revolution" and I believe David Krentz was the one who designed them. Personally I think they might be my favorite Tyrannosaurus to ever grace the "small screen".

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Gwangi on August 26, 2015, 11:29:03 PM

I loved the Tyrannosaurus design used for "Dinosaur Revolution" and I believe David Krentz was the one who designed them. Personally I think they might be my favorite Tyrannosaurus to ever grace the "small screen".
No, Ricardo Delgado was responsible for the design of the Tyrannosaurus. David Krentz was the 3D modeller though.

Shadowknight1

Dinosaur Revolution...was that the one with the rexes with the skull pattern coloring on their heads?
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on August 27, 2015, 05:14:31 AM
Dinosaur Revolution...was that the one with the rexes with the skull pattern coloring on their heads?
Yep. They were calling it a "death mask".

The main villain Tyrannosaurus was called Jack Palance, and the mated pair were Stumpy and Tinkerbelle. The juvenile was called Junior.

Viking Spawn

I know Dinosaur Revolution wasn't a huge success, but I still found the short series both interesting and entertaining.  And I also liked the look of the Death Mask T-Rex!  Truly menacing looking!  I'd love to see a figure of that someday. 

Dinomike

Quote from: manuel-mx on August 26, 2015, 04:38:15 PM
Take a look at this video

I really like the artwork but it looks more like an Albertosaurus. Edit. Checked, it's a T.rex alright.  I guess I'm too used to the JP Rexy.  Lol! :))
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

terrorchicken

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 26, 2015, 06:42:38 PM

this is a nice feather design and coloration. I could see more people warming up to the idea of feathered large dinos if they were colored more neutral and not like an exotic bird. Not saying that they couldnt have looked like parrots b/c we dont know, but I think the public would be less "eww  how dorky!" about it.  ::)

Gwangi

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 27, 2015, 05:12:46 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on August 26, 2015, 11:29:03 PM

No, Ricardo Delgado was responsible for the design of the Tyrannosaurus. David Krentz was the 3D modeller though.

Thanks for the clarification on that. I knew he was involved somehow. So many great names attached to that project. Shame Discovery botched it like they did.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Monkeysaurus on August 26, 2015, 09:37:34 PM
Quote from: Dinoguy2 on August 26, 2015, 09:07:20 PM
I just looked it up and indeed you are correct. The most up to date scientific consensus, according to what I just read, points to Nanotyrannus being a separate genus and not a juvenile T-Rex. The last I remembered reading about Jane, which was a while ago, had the opposite conclusion. Good to know.

Consensus means most experts agree, and that's definitely not the case with Nano! The issue is further complicated by the fact that some people supporting (namely Peter Larson and Bob Bakker) Nano have been using the" Dueling Dinosaur" specimen as they're key piece of evidence, a specimen which is for sale and not available for study. Most others believe using such a specimen is anti-science because there is no way for any independent researchers to verify any of the claims made about it or test out alternate hypothesis.

The original auction for the specimen claimed the price was so high because it was the only complete specimen of Nanotyrannus. Larson is both one of the sellers of the specimen and the biggest proponent of Nano, and he stands to make millions selling casts of the specimen, and he makes more money if people think Nano is real. So his "opinion" of how important it is might not be the most trustworthy.
http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2013/11/02/auction-block-dinosaur-stirs-controversy-at-svp/

I'm not saying Nano is not real, actually the dueling specimen looks pretty intriguing and might prove Nano is real. But if the main proponent of Nano stands to make more money the more people think he's right, and nobody is allowed to even try to prove him wrong until after he's made his money, there's something terribly, terribly wrong.

Dilopho

The Jurassic Fight Club TV show has a pretty interesting Tyrannosaurus. It's like a mix of JP and real life. But the show is pretty bad, apart from the Majungatholus episode.

And if you're wondering, that green dinosaur is a Nanotyrannus.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.