News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Howdy from Texas!

Started by flashstick, September 28, 2015, 02:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flashstick

Hi everyone,

I am an MFA student at Texas A&M in the visualization department.
For my MFA body of work I want to create a short animation exploring the lack of cartilaginous forms on most dinosaur depictions.  I am going to take a common skeleton (probably a cat) and not look at the correct anatomy at all, but reconstruct it looking ant something similar is bone structure but very different visually (probably an iguana).   I am going to add muscles to the skeleton based on the new reference creature, then shrink-wrap some skin onto it and animate it moving around.

I am here mainly to get advice and information on how dinosaurs are drawn and speculated about- the palaeontology forum has some awesome art and discussion going on that I discovered while searching the internet.
If y'all have any good books or resources on drawing dinosaurs anatomically, I would love to get those.

Looking forward to talking with you all!

Arul

Howdy from indonesia welcome to the forum enjoy your stay  :D

Mitko

Patrx

Hi, welcome to the forum! That sounds like a very interesting project :) If you've not already read it, I fully recommend "All Yesterdays", which explores similar ideas. Also, though I haven't read it myself, I've heard good things about "The Unfeathered Bird". Outside of books, you can't go wrong with palaeo-blogs like SVPOW, DinoGoss, Dinosaurpalaeo, and Mark Witton's blog.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.