News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Doctor Who Thread

Started by Pachyrhinosaurus, October 10, 2015, 09:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pachyrhinosaurus

I didn't see any other threads about Doctor Who which which didn't focus only on the dinosaurs, so I thought I'd start one.
The main thing I wanted to discuss is the whole midlife crisis that The Doctor seems to be going through here. The new costume is okay (the plaid pants are a nice touch) and I will admit that the bit with the guitar was one of the best entrances he's had in a while, but there are some things which don't seem like they fit in, namely the sonic sunglasses. The one thing that really turns me off, however, is the new theme tune: *Possible Spoilers*
https://www.facebook.com/DoctorWho/videos/1220790854601606/
I think the guitar sounds similar to the original theme from 1963 but the whole rock element doesn't seem to fit in with the sci-fi show. Any thoughts on this shift in the new series?
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

SBell

I think it's fantastic. The Doctor is what, 2000 years old now? Things change in his world. Things change in ours.

As long as the stories amuse me and the family, I'm good.

Crackington

I agree, there's still enough elements of the original theme to keep the music recognisably Dr Who. I also think Peter Capaldi's shaping up to the best of the "new" doctors. He has some of the enigmatic and unpredictable qualities  of the first doctors (in particular Hartnell, Troughton and Tom Baker), so is more believable as an alien. Loved his meeting with the boy Davros and the way this picked up the ethical dilemma faced by Tom Baker's doctor so long ago.

Balaur

I loved the last two episodes! Also, is it just me or did Lady Me look really adorable dressed up as The Knightmare? ;D

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: Balaur on October 25, 2015, 04:38:55 PM
I loved the last two episodes! Also, is it just me or did Lady Me look really adorable dressed up as The Knightmare? ;D

I missed those two due to personal events (which were loads more fun than watching TV anyways  :P ) Were the sunglasses destroyed as rumored?
Anyways, I can't wait to see the next two, seeing as the zygons return. Is that Osgood I saw in the trailer? I thought Missy killed her.  :o
Save Dinoland USA!

Balaur

The sunglasses were broken in half by some Vikings, but the next episode the Doctor is seen wearing them, so he probably fixed them.

Yeah, what is Osgood doing alive? I have a slight suspicion that that device Missy used to "kill" people didn't really kill people, it just transported them elsewhere.

Megalosaurus

Hello.
I've only know about Dr.Who what I've read in the internet. Never heard of that series in Mexican free TV.
But now it caught my interest. Where should I start to watch the series (Season and episode)? I ask because I know that it exists from the 60ts or 70ts, So its impossible to start from there.
Thank you.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Patrx

It makes sense to start with the beginning of the re-launched series, which premiered in 2005. That episode's titled "Rose"; it's series one, episode one :)
If you do get a chance to check out some of the older episodes sometime, It's worthwhile. The episodes written by Douglas Adams are especially good.

John

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on October 25, 2015, 06:25:30 PM
Is that Osgood I saw in the trailer? I thought Missy killed her.  :o
Think of it as a rare occasion on which a good guy somehow returns.Usually it's a villain like Davros or The Master,both of whom have bitten the dust and then come back multiple times each. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Megalosaurus

Quote from: Patrx on October 28, 2015, 04:19:58 PM
It makes sense to start with the beginning of the re-launched series, which premiered in 2005. That episode's titled "Rose"; it's series one, episode one :)
If you do get a chance to check out some of the older episodes sometime, It's worthwhile. The episodes written by Douglas Adams are especially good.
Thank you very much. It was helpful.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Dilopho

What did you guys think of the series finale? The crying dalek really upset me.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: Dilopho on December 06, 2015, 03:41:29 PM
Overall I liked it. It was nice to see the Doctor back on Gallifrey. I found it funny (yet somehow predictable) that he goes back home after all this time of not knowing where it is only to steal a time capsule and leave. Also, was that a new sonic screwdriver at the end?
Save Dinoland USA!

Dilopho

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on December 06, 2015, 04:14:48 PM
Quote from: Dilopho on December 06, 2015, 03:41:29 PM
Overall I liked it. It was nice to see the Doctor back on Gallifrey. I found it funny (yet somehow predictable) that he goes back home after all this time of not knowing where it is only to steal a time capsule and leave. Also, was that a new sonic screwdriver at the end?
Yep!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WujaXajZ2SM

Derek.McManus

Return to Gallifrey and steal a Tardis...way to go Doctor! Seriously the last season was a remarkable return to form particularly the Zygon story and the finale!

Viking Spawn

I somehow missed this thread.  I also happen to like Dr. Who.  I remember watching Tom Baker as the Doctor while growing up.  Currently, Peter Capaldi's Doctor is the best modern Doctor IMO.  Looking forward to watching the new season which starts filming in May.

DinoLord

I was really blown away by the last series. I feel like every episode (except the sand monster one) was a winner. Hopefully Capaldi's future series are just as good.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.