News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Giant Barosaurus

Started by pylraster, September 22, 2016, 09:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pylraster

Just when you thought sauropod size can't get any more ridiculous, here comes a colossal Barosaurus.

https://svpow.com/2016/09/16/how-horrifying-was-the-neck-of-barosaurus

Kovu

Barosaurus has always been a favorite sauropod of mine. Why, I have no earthly idea other than the name sounds oddly poetic to me.

A figure of one would be lovely.

Derek.McManus

When I was a child I had a book with a wonderful picture of a herd of Barosaurs advancing out of the page!

pylraster

Quote from: Kovu on September 23, 2016, 04:31:06 AM
Barosaurus has always been a favorite sauropod of mine. Why, I have no earthly idea other than the name sounds oddly poetic to me.

A figure of one would be lovely.

The name means "heavy lizard" so that probably adds to the coolness factor of Barosaurus. :)

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

soft tissue

if Taylor et al.'s identification of the C9 is correct, and their isometrics are accurate, then we'd have a ~50m, ~120t sauropod, which is absolutely massive.

then, we have the large dorsal and caudal 'spines' (that 'spike-ified' the posteriormost caudals, making a really painful whip) on a subadult diplodocine diplodocid (Czerkas, 1994). think of the implications for a fully mature Barosaurus.

pylraster

That makes it the longest sauropod by a wide margin, if that's confirmed. By weight... I don't know. A slightly smaller titanosaur might be heavier?

DinoLord

50 meters? Who needs Amphicoelias fragillimus anymore?

I find it fascinating how recent finds have hinted that sauropods may have gotten huger than we ever imagined. Statistically the true giants must have been extremely rare in the living population to begin with, so there would be an extremely low probability of their remains fossilizing and then being discovered.

Dilopho

Just last week I sat in complete awe at that 360 video of Girrafatitan and thinking
"Oh my stars...this thing is unbelievably big..."
And now I'm just kind of sitting here staring at the picture in the article...
just...like...
:O

This is...
...well, to put it simply...
....awesome. Literally awesome.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Dilopho on September 25, 2016, 09:17:31 PM
....awesome. Literally awesome.

This phrase has seldom been more fitting.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Pachyrhinosaurus

Just wow. I was going to sculpt the AMNH titanosaur in a large scale but I think I'm going to reconsider after this.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.