News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Original Plesiosaur Sculpture

Started by smashtoad, January 04, 2016, 04:09:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smashtoad

Hi All,

I sculpted this grinning plesiosaur several years ago and have decided to sell it.  If anyone is interested let me know and we can work something out.  I am considering a re-paint.  If someone is interested they can direct that scheme.  Thanks.

The sculpt is almost 18" long and weighs about three pounds.  The stand and support rod have since been painted black.  The texture was done by stippling with a toothpick and covers the entire dorsal surface.

Blade-of-the-Moon

heh reminds me of a character in an animated show..pretty cool.

sauroid

@Blade: is it Cecil the sea serpent/monster?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Blade-of-the-Moon

might be...little more..wicked. though.  lol

MLMjp

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

That's creepy  :(

Kayakasaurus

I was admiring when my eyes got to the face and... Ahh! It's Pong Krell! Still a neat sculpture though. Any interest in doing some sculpting again?
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

smashtoad

Thanks all...I think!  You guys are nuts.  I don't know who those characters are...is it anime stuff?

Just an FYI for those who may find dimensional issues with the piece...which I call "Grinning Nessie":  I used no anatomical measurements or anything when sculpting her.  Just sculpted her by eye.  She was originally going to be a Kronosaurus, but I changed direction when I broke the Krono head...argh.

Kayakasaurus...I am in the middle of sculpting a phorusrhacoid now.  I am calling it Brontornis horridus.  The head and body are done and ready for paint, but the legs are fighting me.  I'd love to sculpt it freestanding, but won't.  I bought a nice flat burl stand for her.  She'll be about 13" tall when done.

Here's a little pictorial journey of some progress. 

Kayakasaurus

Looking good! I'm glad you joined the forum, and yes, I will profess to being a nut  :). With the smile on that Nessie, I suspect you have a nutty streak or two as well  :)).
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Jetoar

Really wonderful sculptures  :o. You are really talented  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Dinomike

Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

smashtoad

Thanks guys.  I'm glad I found this forum.  I am really looking forward to the future of dino figures.  When I look at my Papo Allosaurus and think, "I paid $16 for this."...it blows my mind.

Kovu

Your sculptures are super cool bro! I like how they each have their own character to them.
The plesiosaur kind of reminds me of Randall from Monsters, Inc. in the face. I can totally see these as being characters in a Pixar/Disney-like film.

smashtoad

Quote from: Kovu on January 05, 2016, 07:18:01 PM
Your sculptures are super cool bro! I like how they each have their own character to them.
The plesiosaur kind of reminds me of Randall from Monsters, Inc. in the face. I can totally see these as being characters in a Pixar/Disney-like film.

Thanks Kovu.  Randall...I never made that connection but you are right...she does resemble Randall...a lot actually.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.