News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

C

[deleted topic]

Started by Charlie P., February 22, 2016, 04:47:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie P.

[deleted content]

Megalosaurus

Thank you for your effort Charlie.
So no Carnegies are included, Right?
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Sim

Just thought you might like to know it's spelt "Carnegie". :)

Doug Watson

Here are the product numbers for the 2016s

305229 Carcharodontosaurus [2016]
305429 Iguanodon [2016]
305329 Masiakasaurus [2016]
305629 Plesiosuchus [2016]
305529 Shunosaurus [2016]

Also I noticed a typo, should be Vagaceratops.

stoneage

Quote from: Sim on February 22, 2016, 07:15:56 PM

It's not spelt its spelled.  Spelt is a type of wheat.

Rain

Quote from: stoneage on February 22, 2016, 10:28:54 PM
Quote from: Sim on February 22, 2016, 07:15:56 PM

It's not spelt its spelled.  Spelt is a type of wheat.

Actually both work. ''Spelled'' is used by Americans and "Spelt" is used by...well nearly everyone else. Either is correct though.

Sim

Thanks Rain.  I've lived in the UK all my life, and my parents aren't American, so I've only encountered "spelled" rarely - only when Americans have said it.  I know "spelt" is also a type of wheat, which is funny although it isn't the only word with more than one completely different meaning.

If I had been continuously misspelling something I would've wanted to know.  I find it amusing in a nice way whenever I see or hear "spelled". :))

RobinGoodfellow

@ Charlie P.   Maybe you'll be interested in that:  http://dmf.kinolulu.com/db/

Rogue1stClass

Quote from: Doug Watson on February 22, 2016, 08:16:42 PM
Here are the product numbers for the 2016s

305229 Carcharodontosaurus [2016]
305429 Iguanodon [2016]
305329 Masiakasaurus [2016]
305629 Plesiosuchus [2016]
305529 Shunosaurus [2016]

Also I noticed a typo, should be Vagaceratops.

Anyone else think Vagaceratops sounds dirty? Just me? Okay, then.

Yeah, I know it's from "vagabond", but I didn't when I bought it at the hobby store and the other way of pronouncing it is stuck now.

Sim

I've never thought much about the pronunciation of "Vagaceratops".  I've always pronounced the "vaga" part like it's pronounced in "vagabond".  I can't think of any words starting with "vaga" that would make "Vagaceratops" sound dirty.

Rogue1stClass

Quote from: Sim on February 23, 2016, 11:39:43 PM
I've never thought much about the pronunciation of "Vagaceratops".  I've always pronounced the "vaga" part like it's pronounced in "vagabond".  I can't think of any words starting with "vaga" that would make "Vagaceratops" sound dirty.

Try it with the soft "g" and think like a twelve year old boy (although I am forty-four, but I also collect toy dinosaurs, so...)

Sim

That isn't a correct pronunciation for "Vagaceratops" though, so I don't find it sticks. :)

terrorchicken

Halichoeres

Quote from: terrorchicken on February 25, 2016, 05:38:36 PM
the worst dinosaur name is still rapetosaurus.  :-X
Goodness, hadn't made that connection.

Quote from: Sim on February 25, 2016, 04:08:52 PM
That isn't a correct pronunciation for "Vagaceratops" though, so I don't find it sticks. :)
But this one I definitely noticed because I'm extremely immature. Come on, join us in the gutter!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Rogue1stClass

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 26, 2016, 06:00:57 AM

But this one I definitely noticed because I'm extremely immature. Come on, join us in the gutter!
[/quote]

I sent a picture of the hang tag to my creative partner without comment and she thought it was that, too. Her knowledge of dinosaurs is pretty much "the big one's Brontosaurus, right?", so it's not just us....

Doug Watson

You and me, I saw where he was going with his first post. >:D

Actually I wish they had called it Veggiesaurus but then I'm a Jurassic Park geek.

Sim

Quote from: terrorchicken on February 25, 2016, 05:38:36 PM
the worst dinosaur name is still rapetosaurus.  :-X
Goodness, hadn't made that connection.

I hadn't made that connection either.  "Rapetosaurus" doesn't sound bad if it's pronounced correctly though.  Pantydraco on the other hand...  Or Turdus...

Quote from: Doug Watson on February 26, 2016, 03:19:36 PM

You and me, I saw where he was going with his first post. >:D

Dare I ask, Doug, if that had anything to do with why you made a Vagaceratops for Safari?

Doug Watson

Quote from: Sim on February 26, 2016, 06:16:05 PM
Dare I ask, Doug, if that had anything to do with why you made a Vagaceratops for Safari?

What the fact that I am also extremely immature? :)) I hope not. I had done the reconstruction of the holotype skull under the direction of Dr. Holmes so once Safari Ltd started letting me do dinosaurs I started bugging them to let me do it. Initially they said horned dinosaurs didn't sell well for them but eventually they relented and the rest is history as they say. Of course back when I did the skull and when I started the sculpture for Safari Ltd it was still called Chasmosaurus irvinensis. The name change came right in the middle of me doing the piece for Safari Ltd.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Charlie P. on February 26, 2016, 07:16:03 PM
Quote from: Doug Watson on February 26, 2016, 07:10:47 PM
when I started the sculpture for Safari Ltd it was still called Chasmosaurus irvinensis. The name change came right in the middle of me doing the piece for Safari Ltd.

Wait, Chasmosaurus and Vagaceratops are the same animal? Or initially the latter has been mistakenly classified as the former? Not an expert of ceratopsians, there are so many.

only the species C. irvinensis was renamed Vagaceratops there are still other species of Chasmosaurus

Sim

Thanks for the explanation regarding the Safari Vagaceratops, Doug! :)

On the subject of Chasmosaurus and Vagaceratops..  There was actually a recent paper that re-evaluated Chasmosaurus.  It found only two species of Chasmosaurus are valid, and it supported irvinensis being in a separate genus (Vagaceratops).  I found the paper interesting.  It has great photos of Chasmosaurus and Vagaceratops specimens, and makes it easier to see differences between the different species.  I started a thread for it: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4365.0

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: