News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Warped skull model from Favorite Co.

Started by ibijuro, January 31, 2016, 05:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibijuro

First---a quickshello! I am a long time reader, but this is only my first post!
A short bit about myself, I am an illustrator with a focus on animals and creatures, I collect anatomical models to aid to conceptualize their form.

Does anyone know if the material the Favorite Co. skull models can be made malleable by carefully applying heat? 
I recently acquired the Allosaurus skull model and the jaw is terribly off center.  I find it impossible to ignore from any viewing angel. 
I have only read that it is made of "Poly resin" and it feels very rigid, similar to poly stone, which I don't think heat can be used on.  Although the correction involves a large piee, it would also be minor considering the whole.

I see there are many resources on issues with poly-stone and resin, and have read conflicting advice for heat application, but I have not read anything concerning 'poly resin'
If anyone has knowledge on this please help!

Thanks thanks!

Halichoeres

I don't have good advice for you, although my suspicion is that poly resin won't respond well to reshaping under heat. Plenty of experienced modelers here would have better information than I do. But I wanted to take the opportunity to say hello and welcome. :)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

J.R.S T REX

In the future, you might want to try Dinostoreus for your skulls and skeleton needs.  They inspect each piece before they are shipped.  Nice quality!

Blade-of-the-Moon

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.