You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Lanthanotus' Sculpts - updated for sauropod's nest

Started by Lanthanotus, March 30, 2016, 08:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetoar

Now it is a definetly art work  ^-^!!!!!.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Lanthanotus

Thanks very much to all of you! :)

I want to continue sculpting and would like to do something (smaller and less complicated) to make an attempt on molding and casting, but time is a rare ressource, so it may take a while. Will update here once a progress can be shown.

Viergacht

I liked the first color, too, but this one is more probable and it really makes the little pteros stand out. Quite epic for a first try! :D

Lanthanotus

Nothing too special, but when modifying some theropods (see here) I was left with some remaining Fixit Sculpt and thought I may just make some dino eggs (saving the cash I would otherwise spend for Rebor's sauropod nest), the nest itself is made of Sculpey. It's not made in a specific scale, need see where I place it in my collection....

amargasaurus cazaui

An interesting piece and I like that the eggs appear textured . Did you have in mind a particular type of genus for the nest when you made it? The eggs entirely exposed as they are is an interesting "take" on a nest as well. There has been suggestion one science paper some dinosaur eggs may have well been brightly colored similar to some bird eggs...
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Lanthanotus

Thanks amargasaurus, the texture indeed is a nice add, even if not intended in the first place, it appeared when I colored the eggs.

No, didn't have any specific species in mind, nor a specific figure.

I thought about coloring the eggs in some hues of blue or with blotches but I did deceide against as I thought of a nest where the cluctch is just being laid and the nest closed after - as sauropods would have done it as, for obvious reasons, they are unable to actually incubate their clutches. To my knowledge colored or patterned eggs appear only in species where the eggs may lay open when the adults are not sitting on them, buried eggs are just chalk colored.

The nest itself is a compromise with the outer "wall" and the half buried ferns, as a hole in the ground (which probably would be the real appearance of a sauropod nest rather than a mount) is hard to represent without a lot of higher ground area around.

However, I intend to create more nests for some other dinosaurs and some sure will have colored eggs, I guess it makes most sense for lightly build theropods or other bipedal species.

amargasaurus cazaui

From what little I have seen on the topic the nest might also work quite well.....with ceratopsians . For theropods you generally need a more oblongish egg .....I agree it might be a difficult task to make an accurate looking sauropod nesting area without dedicating an entire base and adjacent area. I will look around, there was a paper released about the possible colors of some eggs....
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.