News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Lanthanotus' Sculpts - updated for sauropod's nest

Started by Lanthanotus, March 30, 2016, 08:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanthanotus

I deceided to make a separate thread for this to document the several stages of the work (the original post can be found here).

After the conceptual drawing,

I created a skeletal frame from steel and binding wire. The frame was placed on a wooden board....

... which was covered in aluminium to prevent the papier mâché from being glued to the board (which is not intended to be a part of the sculpt). The papier mâché's main function was, to save up on polymer clay material (Super Sculpey, medium blend), however, as this is my first big sculpt, this strategy may not be the best choice, as the clay feels like a loose jacket around the frame which makes scuplting a bit problematic at some positions.

The sculpture slowly takes some crude form.

To be continued.

Newt

I don't know how I overlooked this thread. This is looking good! I don't know how much further you've taken this; if it still seems like the clay is slipping too much, try peeling it off (I know, it's a pain) and wrapping some fine wire around the papier mache. That's what I do and it seems to work well (I use aluminum foil to bulk out my sculpts, but that shouldn't make much difference). It gives the clay something to bite onto so it doesn't slip around.

Lanthanotus

It's a slow work as there's so lot o' other things to do, but here's an update. Apologies for the picture quality, had to use the flash as there's not enough artificial light available at my workplace.

Deceided to cut off the left arm (well, it's metal frame) to sculpt the arm in a retracted stance and invested a lot of time in the sculpting of the pelvic bones. Still all comparably crude, but I'm nearing to the finer works of the whole thing. I would like to make a mold and cast from it in the end, but I think the sculpt will be way to complex for me to do this - though there may be a way to cut it into several pieces which could serve for this purpose. Will see, first things first...

Kayakasaurus

Well on your way and looking good!
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Blade-of-the-Moon

very nice! reminds a bit of Malcolm Mlodoch's early work.

Lanthanotus

Thanks guys,

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 26, 2016, 07:03:51 AM
reminds a bit of Malcolm Mlodoch's early work.

yeah well, as written here that is the reference for this model as Fauna Casts seem to be "offline"?!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Ah ha, missed that bit, teach me for jumping into a thread without reading back. lol 

Yeah Malcolm drops a line once in a blue moon, but he isn't taking orders anymore. Probably just as well.

Lanthanotus

As I won't use this sculpt for the Diorama Contest anyway (for not being anonymous anymore obviously), here's the semi final result. Semi final as I pondered about the color and pattern for the Allo for a while and decided to try a mix of various varanoid features (guess which species references I used if you can ;)). However, the result as seen here was way to garish for my taste so I changed it completly aswell as refining the paint job on the pteros, bones and such. Didn't make photos of the real final result yet tho, will deliver them soon. Hope you enjoy the view, and feel free to leave any critics.

Dinomike

Wow! What a great piece!  And totally digging the colors!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

irimali

I love the little pterosaurs!  super cute!

AcroSauroTaurus

Wow! Love the Allosaurs coloration! Great work. :))
I am the Dinosaur King!

LophoLeeVT

check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

Blade-of-the-Moon

Awesome, love the color and the pterosaurs.

Viergacht

Loving the pose. And the varanid colors - I can see them working if they were blended and a bit less contrasty :)

Jetoar

Final sculpt is really beautiful  ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Lanthanotus

Thanks very much for your compliments :)

.... gonna try to shoot some photos of the final colors this week to post them.

QuoteI can see them working if they were blended and a bit less contrasty

You may be right, and it may partly be related to the fact that I used three color schemes of only distantly related species, but each pattern, color, contrast and is authentic to the species. The head is Perentie (V. giganteus), the body juvenile Desert monitor (V. griseus) and the limbs and underbelly a locality of V. similis.

The new colors are fictional and lack hard contrasts and gaudy colors, giving the animal a more "usefull" camouflage for its apex role.

Lanthanotus

So here's the final version, as you can see the color and pattern of the Allo was changed greatly aswell as the pteros'. In addition the the bones and base got a final touch of wash to give the scene a more natural look. Overall I'm very proud of the result, being my first serious attempt, though I'm for sure aware that the Allo's neck is a fair bit too long and its hind legs may have come out a bit too short. Nevertheless I was thinking of casting it, but the complicated form (pelvis and one vertebra are detachable, but that's it) renders this practically impossible for me. The upright trunk on the strand has holes to peg in some foliage, but I couldn't get to create some yet....

Thanks for your comments and tips.

Pachyrhinosaurus

This is pretty nice for your first one. It'll be nice to see your body of work grow and improve.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

LophoLeeVT

check out MY NEW YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!Blueproduction dino action!!! Dont forget to subscribe for more stuff!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLWQjvkq8qSyXALeEkHFeqw

AcroSauroTaurus

I personally liked the Allosaurs first coloration better, but this coloration is cool too. ;D The carcass looks a lot better though!
I am the Dinosaur King!

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.