News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

help with remembering this documentary

Started by cmgreenwood1982, July 06, 2014, 03:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmgreenwood1982

Guys, I'm new here and have been searching for this dinosaur documentary I saw somewhere back in the mid to late 90s or possible early 2000s. I've recently rewatched walking with dinosaurs and walking with monsters in hopes that this was the documentary only to dissapointed. The documentary went in depth of the dinosaurs before dinosaurs. I remember it following this ancient land predator for some time before it shows its eventual demise and the extinction. So basically does anyone remember a documentary of ancient dinosaurs before dinosaurs?

stargatedalek

could have been walking with monsters I suppose, but it was a single feature rather than episodic (IIRC) so unless you only caught the ending it also touched on carboniferous arthropods and various aquatic forms

Gwangi

Quote from: cmgreenwood1982 on July 06, 2014, 03:46:13 PM
Guys, I'm new here and have been searching for this dinosaur documentary I saw somewhere back in the mid to late 90s or possible early 2000s. I've recently rewatched walking with dinosaurs and walking with monsters in hopes that this was the documentary only to dissapointed. The documentary went in depth of the dinosaurs before dinosaurs. I remember it following this ancient land predator for some time before it shows its eventual demise and the extinction. So basically does anyone remember a documentary of ancient dinosaurs before dinosaurs?

Ancient dinosaurs before dinosaurs? That does not make much sense I'm afraid. Do you mean, animals that lived before the dinosaurs? Like from the Permian period or something? Because you can't have dinosaurs before there were any dinosaurs. What you describe sounds most like the "New Blood" episode of "Walking with Dinosaurs" which concerns the late Triassic and deals a lot with Postosuchus. Dinosaurs are in the episode too but they're earlier species like Coelophysis. Are you sure you've watched the whole series?

cmgreenwood1982

Quote from: Gwangi on July 06, 2014, 04:22:49 PM
Quote from: cmgreenwood1982 link=topic=2401.msg63772#msg6I'm72 date=1404657973
Guys, I'm new here and have bIearching for this dinosaur documentary I saw somewhere back in the mid to late 90s or possibl ear 2000s. I've recently rewatched walking with dinosaurs and walking with monsters in hopes that this was the documentary only to dissapointed. The documentary went in depth of the dinosaurs before dinosaurs. I remember it following this ancient land predator for some time before it shows its eventual demise and the extinction. So basically does anyone remember a documentary of ancient dinosaurs before dinosaurs?

Ancient dinosaurs before dinosaurs? That does not make much sense I'm afraid. Do you mean, animals that lived before the dinosaurs? Like from the Permian period or something? Because you can't have dinosaurs before there were any dinosaurs. What you describe sounds most like the "New Blood" episode of "Walking with Dinosaurs" which concerns the late Triassic and deals a lot with Postosuchus. Dinosaurs are in the episode too but they're earlier species like Coelophysis. Are you sure you've watched the whole series?

I mean beasts before dinosaurs. Land creatures like dinosaurs. Dominant land predators before the T Rex. It was long ago, so its tough to remember the names of these creatures. I'm just trying to explain what I can remember. Im not trying to get into some terminology debate of  Dinosaurs. Yes i watched new blood. Watched the series. Watched walking with monsters as well. No guesses anyone?

stargatedalek

I don't recall a great many docu dramas touching on that era (sadly)

cmgreenwood1982

Possibly a dinogorgon or postosuchus. The pictures I've seen look similar to my memories of the beast they followed for a bit before they show the extinction. The film was pre dinosaur history.

Gwangi

Quote from: cmgreenwood1982 on July 06, 2014, 04:51:26 PM
I mean beasts before dinosaurs. Land creatures like dinosaurs. Dominant land predators before the T Rex. It was long ago, so its tough to remember the names of these creatures. I'm just trying to explain what I can remember. Im not trying to get into some terminology debate of  Dinosaurs. Yes i watched new blood. Watched the series. Watched walking with monsters as well. No guesses anyone?

I'm not trying to get into a debate either, just trying to understand what you're trying to say. It is fine if you don't know the terminology but if you want us to help you it helps us if what you're trying to say makes sense. Not trying to be mean, just trying to communicate clearly.  ;)

And I believe you that you watched the "Walking With" series but what you described sounds an awful lot like one of those episodes and there really is not a lot out there regarding life before the dinosaurs so I just wanted to make sure you did indeed see every episode. Hopefully someone else can help you. Good luck.

A few more questions that might help narrow it down...

Did it use animation, CGI or use some other sort of special effects?
Was there a narrator? Any ideas on who it was? British perhaps?
Were there any cut scenes of people talking or was the entire show just the animals with a voice over?

cmgreenwood1982

Quote from: Gwangi link=ic=2401.msg63785#msg63785 date=140466365l
Quote from: cmgreenwood1982 on July 06, 2014, 04:51:26 PM
I mean beasts before dinosaurs. Land creatures like dinosaurs. Dominant land predItors before the T Rex. It was long ago,  its tough to remember the names of these creatures. I'm just trying to explain what I can remember. Im not trying to get into some terminology debate of  Dinosaurs. Yes i watched new blood. Watched the series. Watched walking with monsters as well. No guesses anyone?

I'm not trying to get into a debate either, just trying to understand what you're trying to say. It is fine if you don't know the terminology but if you want us to help you it helps us if what you're trying to say makes sense. Not trying to be mean, just trying to communicate clearly.  ;)

And I believe you that you watched the "Walking With" series but what you described sounds an awful lot like one of those episodes and there really is not a lot out there regarding life before the dinosaurs so I just wanted to make sure you did indeed see every episode. Hopefully someone else can help you. Good luck.

A few more questions that might help narrow it down...

Did it use animation, CGI or use some other sort of special effects?
Was there a narrator? Any ideas on who it was? British perhaps?
Were there any cut scenes of people talking or was the entire show just the animals with a voice over?

It was cgi and fx. With narrating. I was siked when i just saw walking with dinosaurs and monsters. But it left out the part showing these creatures becoming extinct before moving on to the next era....i know this is tough. But I have been searching for this forever. Were there any other eps in wwd with pre dinosaur eras?

amargasaurus cazaui

have you checked to see if it is ....The day the earth nearly died? This is a documentary the centers around the Permian extinction event.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

stargatedalek

other than monsters and the first episode of WWD I don't think there any walking with segments that are matching your description
since chased by sea monsters and prehistoric park (both of which had segments at that time) do not match your description

could you identify any of the species?
was it segmented, or was it all set around the same animals?
do you know what company made it?

cmgreenwood1982

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 06, 2014, 05:40:15 PM
other than monsters and the first episode of WWD I don't think there any walking with segments that are matching your description
since chased by sea monsters and prehistoric park (both of which had segments at that time) do not match your description

could you identify any of the species?
was it segmented, or was it all set around the same animals?
do you know what company made it?

Wanna say dinogorgon or postosuchus

amargasaurus cazaui

Did you check my suggestion ? There just are not that many documentaries about the end of the Permian and its likely the correct answer.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

cmgreenwood1982

I just finish watching most of that video and I'm afraid that that's not it this is more of a documentary where the creatures are followed through brief portions of their life and was definitely narrated. I'm probably getting my wires crossed and leaving out some vital information. Am I mistaken these creatures as early stages of dinosaurs? I mean Dino's that the normal public aren't as famiar with?

DinoToyForum

Sounds like walking with monsters or the first episode of walking with dinosaurs. If not, I'm afraid it doesn't ring any bells  :-[

Gwangi

I wonder if it is not "Dinosaur Revolution" which although recent does start off showing the Permian extinction in the first episode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WZwqgKi70Y

Yutyrannus

Quote from: cmgreenwood1982 on July 06, 2014, 09:22:43 PM
I just finish watching most of that video and I'm afraid that that's not it this is more of a documentary where the creatures are followed through brief portions of their life and was definitely narrated. I'm probably getting my wires crossed and leaving out some vital information. Am I mistaken these creatures as early stages of dinosaurs? I mean Dino's that the normal public aren't as famiar with?
Actually, yes. They are not related to dinosaurs. As for the documentary, I'm sorry I really don't know. Are you sure it was actually something you saw? Because I know that I've thought I've seen certain shows sometimes only to find out I just imagined it :-\.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

cmgreenwood1982

Quote from: Yutyrannus on July 06, 2014, 10:38:27 PM
Quote from: cmgreenwood1982 on July 06, 2014, 09:22:43 PM
Actually, yes. They are not related to dinosaurs. As for the documentary, I'm sorry I really don't know. Are you sure it was actually something you saw? Because I know that I've thought I've seen certain shows sometimes only to find out I just imagined it :-\.
I've been in situations where I thought I saw something and it turned out that my memory didn't serve me correctly.I'm 32 years old now I say I was probably close to me 16 to 18 years old at the time when I saw this so I would imagine that my memory does serve me right I do remember seeing something where it following around prehistoric creatures..like wwd. One in specific I believe it followed around something that looked like postosuchus. Then showed it become extinct. You guys have seen way more Dino videos than me, so if you can't remember then maybe I am wrong.

Yutyrannus

Yeah, I've seen most of them and I think WWD is the only thing that fits your description but you said it's not that.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

cmgreenwood1982

I do appreciate all that help because I really do!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.