News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Himmapaan's Customs and What-Nots

Started by Himmapaan, March 15, 2012, 06:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: brontodocus on March 24, 2012, 12:07:58 AM
I've also started using a magnifying lens for very small parts - or to be more precise, magnifying glasses. They only have a 2* magnification but it really helps especially when I'm painting the tiny Shapeways minis. The downside is that I most likely look incredibly stupid when I wear them. :o ;D However, most of the time I believe I'm not in need of a magnifying lens but rather in need for better and finer paint brushes. :-\

Who cares what we look like as long as the tool fits the job right ? ;)

Very fine tip brushes are really handy ..I would certainly look into them.

Meso-Cenozoic

Just get one of these....

http://www.telesightmagnifiers.com/id97.html

I'm lucky, so far, to be able to see quite close w/o my glasses on. People are always handing me things to read the fine print for them.  8)

Hey, btw guys, how did you get your "V.1 Status and Posts" transferred over? I want mine too!  :'(

Himmapaan

I found that working with a magnifier made me feel I was at some remove from the work. The disjointed co-ordination between hand, eye, and object-beneath-glass made the task cumbersome. And as I can still see well without, I never used it again or learned to get used to it. Actually, you will understand this analogy, Chuck: it's like singing with a microphone. Suddenly your voice not only sounded unlike your own, it felt disembodied, and you're having to listen to it coming out of the amplifier across the room instead of hearing it leave your throat. It takes a deal of practice to become accustomed to.

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on March 24, 2012, 04:09:58 AMHey, btw guys, how did you get your "V.1 Status and Posts" transferred over? I want mine too!  :'(
There is now a box for them in your profile. You simply type them in. I'm sure you can be trusted. ;D

Meso-Cenozoic

Ah OK, thanks Niroot about the stats-n-posts. (And yes, I will be honest about it, hehe. >:D  I mean, anyone can check back at the actual numbers to compare anyway. C:-) ;) )

Yeah, I totally understand about the "removed" aspect. Actually though, when you first talked about the disjointed co-ordination, I thought you were referring to holding a magnifying glass with one hand and painting with the other. -- That I would find next to impossible! That's why I was suggesting using a desk lamp/magnifier, so you would be hands-free. But, I do understand that one would still feel a bit removed from the actual action you're trying to control.

Good example with the mic scenario! I actually love working with a mic now. But, like anything new, it took some getting used to. I will say the worst condition I still have to deal with from time to time is if I have bad monitors or badly placed monitors or no monitors at all! When you can't hear yourself immediately, that can drive you NUTS! :o (<-- Love this emoticon, BTW!)

Himmapaan

Progress. Angie Rodriguez's Shapeways 3D print Lambeosaurus magnicristatus; 1:40 scale; 'White, Strong and Flexible' material.

I just thought I'd steal a little time to start this over the Easter weekend. Though I may not get to continue it until June or something...  :-\

Tylosaurus

Nice single crested Lambeosaurus Himmapaan 8)

ZoPteryx

Looks good so far, can't wait to see the finished product!

Weaver

How in the world do you get those lovely spreading splotched-markings? I love the edges of the splotched designs... they're so pretty.

brontodocus

It looks already stunning as it is now! :) Not only the fine and complex margin of the blueish colour but also the subtle addition of yellow and flesh colour. Looking at the blueish parts it also seems more complex the more I look at it, you seem to have used quite a lot of different colours here!

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

Himmapaan

Thank you, everyone.

Quote from: brontodocus on April 09, 2012, 09:50:21 PM
It looks already stunning as it is now! :) Not only the fine and complex margin of the blueish colour but also the subtle addition of yellow and flesh colour. Looking at the blueish parts it also seems more complex the more I look at it, you seem to have used quite a lot of different colours here!
Ah, it makes a world of difference when people notice these things! Thank you, Dr. Andre!  :D Yes, indeed; there are about six or seven layers of paint so far. Each layer with a variation in hue. Still far to go. Everything will deepen further yet.

Quote from: Weaver on April 09, 2012, 07:14:10 AM
How in the world do you get those lovely spreading splotched-markings? I love the edges of the splotched designs... they're so pretty.
The 'White, Strong & Flexible' material actually does most of that.  :D It's highly porous and will drink up your paint (especially if you paint in water-thin layers as I do) in less than no time, but getting used to it will help you to let it work for you. I mentioned before that it's like painting on permanently dampened watercolour paper. So I paint these models exactly as I do my paintings: in many, many transparent layers. The feathery markings are achieved by using the tip of a fine brush and allowing the paint to bleed strategically. :)

0onarcissisto0

Oooh I love it! I think I just might ask you to paint some of my Antediluvians in earth tones in the near future... ;D
If the sculptor has nothing but science his hands will have no art.

- DK -

Himmapaan

Quote from: 0onarcissisto0 on April 30, 2012, 08:22:49 PM
Oooh I love it! I think I just might ask you to paint some of my Antediluvians in earth tones in the near future... ;D
But you would do a far superior job yourself, Jeb. And you would be saving a deal of expense and irritation at having to wait forever for me to finish anything.  ;)

Lady medusa

In mentioning your watercolors, ive checked out ur art on deviantart! Love the amount of humor in your works! And i really enjoy your styling of your landscaping, especially the trees in your crane drawings

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Himmapaan on March 16, 2012, 11:15:43 PM
Two David Krentz Shapeways 1:144 models: T.rex and Edmontosaurus. I forgot to include a penny, but I think most members are aware of how tiny these are.

Click image to expand. I'll try taking better pictures tomorrow if possible.
That tyrannosaur is the most awesome paint palette pattern choice I think I have seen used for that animal. Amazing
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Himmapaan

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on May 31, 2012, 01:45:05 AM
That tyrannosaur is the most awesome paint palette pattern choice I think I have seen used for that animal. Amazing

So kind of you. I can take only partial credit for it, however. I think I mentioned somewhere that it was Marc's (Horridus) suggestion to paint a blue tyrannosaur, in a departure from my usual fondness for earth tones. I then drew further inspiration from one of Luis Rey's illustrations and a host of pictures of modern blue reptiles. I think the one aspect which might mark it out as being characteristically mine is that 'dappled leaf' sort of patterning I gave it.

Quote from: Lady medusa on May 14, 2012, 06:33:05 PM
In mentioning your watercolors, ive checked out ur art on deviantart! Love the amount of humor in your works! And i really enjoy your styling of your landscaping, especially the trees in your crane drawings

Sorry for my late reply, but thank you, Lady Medusa. The humour seems mostly to be concentrated in the sillier saurian drawings, I think. The more personal work is altogether... much sadder.

Lady medusa

Do you mean sadder as the emotional emphysis in your work or just that it doesnt turn out as you wanted?
For me i get frustrated when i cant get colors to turn as i like or details as i want them so i end up stopping the project fow a while(sometimes for years). I dont usually constider starting over as an option but with the sudden ending of my artist block has changed that. Thats why 99% of my art is incomplete. Plus now since i have a 2yr old son working on my art as long as i would like is impossible! And trying to paint or draw while having your kid constantly kicking, climbing, or trying to get on your work is beyond words  :o :o :o

Himmapaan

Quote from: Lady medusa on June 21, 2012, 06:00:05 PM
Do you mean sadder as the emotional emphysis in your work or just that it doesnt turn out as you wanted?
The former.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.