News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Himmapaan's Customs and What-Nots

Started by Himmapaan, March 15, 2012, 06:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Himmapaan

Here is the original thread over on V.1.

David Krentz 1:72 Antediluvian Stegosaurus. The penny (same size as a U.S. cent) is for scale.

I can't decide which is the better picture, so here is another of this side.

It looks darker than in actuality, which shows more subtle reddish hues. Yes, I know, I know, yet another one with the earth tones and the reds. I've just today finished another mini, and it's blue. Hopefully I'll be able to take pictures tomorrow. In fact,  I had originally hoped to paint this one after the Stegosaurus in my Happy New Year picture, but it didn't quite work out. Models sometimes dictate their own colours, you know...

copper

that stego is gorgeous, your pieces always look so natural! and you shouldn't worry over the color palette you use, the colors are perfect fit.

Himmapaan

Horridus

Lovely Stegosaurus. Nothing wrong with earthy tones - I mostly thought that 'cooler' colours would be a challenge...!  ;D
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Himmapaan

Two David Krentz Shapeways 1:144 models: T.rex and Edmontosaurus. I forgot to include a penny, but I think most members are aware of how tiny these are.

Click image to expand. I'll try taking better pictures tomorrow if possible.

brontodocus

Unbelievable! :o :) I have no idea how to achieve such a finely mottled colouration. Is the Tyrannosaurus based on Luis Rey's artwork?

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

ITewan

They are magnificent! How small are they( I don't know how big a penny is, I am Australian)?
im a lil tired and a lil hungry

brontodocus

About Dinotales-sized. They're that tiny which makes this paint work even more awesome!

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

Himmapaan

Thank you both!

Quote from: brontodocus on March 16, 2012, 11:26:03 PMIs the Tyrannosaurus based on Luis Rey's artwork?
Hehe, it was certainly the starting point. I scoured for some pictures of various blue reptiles too and took the third part of the inspiration from the dark blue Kaiyodo Dinotales T. rex (I forget which series, but the charging, roaring one, you probably know which I mean).

ITewan, the T.rex is about 4.3cm tall. :) A little smaller than even the Dinotales!  ;D :D

Himmapaan

Oh, and Dr. Andre, the mottled effect is easier to do with the 'White, Strong and Flexible' material. :D I dilute the paint water-thin and practically stroke it on gently with the tip of the brush and build up the layers that way. I may prefer the 'Detail' materials for, well, their superior details; but in many ways, I almost enjoy painting on WSF more because of this. It's like painting on permanently dampened watercolour paper.

Lady medusa

Quote from: ITewan on March 16, 2012, 11:28:32 PM
They are magnificent! How small are they( I don't know how big a penny is, I am Australian)?

A penny is Around the size of a 10c coin. Good thing i used to live in aus ;)

Dyscrasia

Wow, that is some of the best paint job I've seen so far on those tiny dinosaurs~

Lady medusa

Quote from: Himmapaan on March 16, 2012, 11:57:30 PM
Oh, and Dr. Andre, the mottled effect is easier to do with the 'White, Strong and Flexible' material. :D I dilute the paint water-thin and practically stroke it on gently with the tip of the brush and build up the layers that way. I may prefer the 'Detail' materials for, well, their superior details; but in many ways, I almost enjoy painting on WSF more because of this. It's like painting on permanently dampened watercolour paper.

So you got that effect without Using an airbrush???

DeadToothCrackKnuckle

Wow, Himmapaan! They all look fantastic! You should consider painting more models! ;)

©Julius T. Csotonyi

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Himmapaan on March 16, 2012, 11:15:43 PM
Two David Krentz Shapeways 1:144 models: T.rex and Edmontosaurus. I forgot to include a penny, but I think most members are aware of how tiny these are.

Click image to expand. I'll try taking better pictures tomorrow if possible.

Wow....if you remove the shadows I would think they were just paintings of yours. Incredible.

Himmapaan

Thank you so much, everyone.

Quote from: Lady medusa on March 17, 2012, 12:51:08 AMSo you got that effect without Using an airbrush???
Yes, I don't own an airbrush. These were painted with good old trusty sables.  :)

And thank you for the explanation about the penny, Lady Medusa. :D I ought to use something more universal as a scale indication, but can't think of anything better. A ruler isn't terribly attractive in a photograph.  ;D

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 17, 2012, 01:45:28 AMWow....if you remove the shadows I would think they were just paintings of yours. Incredible.
Thanks so much, Chris! I do paint these almost exactly as I do on paper: in many, many thin layers. It's why even these minis still take me a relatively long time.

sepp

Ahh Niroot, you just ooze talent! I would scramble for an oppourtunity to ever have a dinosaur painted by you :)

Himmapaan

So kind of you, Lisa. Though any notion of 'talent' is probably quickly dispelled by how slowly I manage these.  :-[

More pictures of the Edmontosaurus (which is about 3cm tall). We have not been granted any better light today, unfortunately.

I had a small accident today and stupidly dropped the Edmontosaurus whilst applying the matte lacquer, resulting in some tiny paint scuffs.  ::)

postsaurischian

The Edmonto is soo beautiful ;D!
I cannot see any scuffs.

Himmapaan

Thank you, Helge! Don't worry, I've fixed the scuffs!  :D

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: