You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Ultimate Dinosaurs Giants From Gondwana at the Canadian Museum of Nature

Started by Doug Watson, May 19, 2016, 01:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Watson

I was just on the Canadian Museum of Nature's site reading about Spiclypeus shipporum and I noticed the exhibit Ultimate Dinosaurs Giants From Gondwana will be at the Canadian Museum of Nature starting June 11, until Sept 5, 2016. I saw it at the ROM and I know there have been appearances at other museums posted here on the DTF along with photos. I can highly recommend it if you haven't already seen it and you can make it to Ottawa.
I may go see it again myself. The material for Spiclypeus shipporum will be on display as well starting May 24 until November 13 so you could kill two birds with one stone.
http://www.nature.ca/en/plan-your-visit/what-see-do/our-exhibitions/ultimate-dinosaurs

suspsy

I'm definitely going to go as well! We are going to be moving into our first house in June, so weekends will probably be rather busy, but we should be unpacked and settled by July at the latest. Perhaps we shall run into each other finally, Doug!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Doug Watson

Quote from: suspsy on May 19, 2016, 05:17:44 PM
I'm definitely going to go as well! We are going to be moving into our first house in June, so weekends will probably be rather busy, but we should be unpacked and settled by July at the latest. Perhaps we shall run into each other finally, Doug!

If I do end up going I'll try to remember to let you know when I will be there. I still haven't seen the second half of the museum since it opened so I'll have to squeeze that in as well.

suspsy

I always make a point of visiting all the exhibits whenever I go. I figure I should get my money's worth. If we do meet up, we can commiserate on how much we miss some all those wonderful old dioramas from the bird hall.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Doug Watson

Quote from: suspsy on May 20, 2016, 02:34:24 PM
I always make a point of visiting all the exhibits whenever I go. I figure I should get my money's worth. If we do meet up, we can commiserate on how much we miss some all those wonderful old dioramas from the bird hall.

That might bring me to tears. I actually witnessed their destruction as well as old backgrounds and murals from the even older mammal hall that used to occupy that space. They were behind and above the large bird dioramas. At the time they were moving the big mammal dioramas and dismantling the rest of the hall I was in there cleaning and restoring some of the dioramas that made it into the current hall . Behind the marsh bird diorama was an old diorama shell with a complete painted background for either a musk ox or bison diorama that hadn't been seen since the late sixties. It was so sad to think that the artist's work was going to be lost forever along with all the big bird dioramas. They did say they were going to cut some of the birds out of the backgrounds and I believe auction them off but I didn't hear anymore about it. Above the dioramas were murals of mammals painted on the old plaster walls that I had seen in my youth. They were above the old dropped ceilings in the last halls and some had holes cut through them for HVAC. Some were complete but from what I recall they were destined to be destroyed as well. :'(

Derek.McManus

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.