You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Tyrannosaurus rex skull - 3D print available

Started by Dinoreplicas, July 29, 2016, 09:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinoreplicas

Hello - new member here
I've been lurking here for years - admiring the amazing work of kit creators and builders alike.

Perhaps inevitably, you've all inspired me to have a go myself so made my digitally sculpted rex skull available to buy as a 3d print on Shapeways. As the product is still in beta, I haven't put any markup on yet, hence the low prices.

1/24th scale, Support struts should be removed with a craft knife and the jaw fitted carefully into the skull where it will rotate
So if anyone want's to give this a try, Shapeways link here - http://shpws.me/Mu5C
Constructive feedback appreciated

3D animated preview - https://skfb.ly/Qyrz

P.S. I'm so envious of the dinosaur model scene in the U.S.

danmalcolm

That looks sweet! I'll probably take advantage of the beta price! How can I say no?

How did you go about making that? Did you start with a model, or did you have to make the shape from scratch?

DinoLord

Darn, looks like I missed out on this one.  :-\

Dinoreplicas

Quote from: danmalcolm on July 30, 2016, 02:52:07 AM
How did you go about making that? Did you start with a model, or did you have to make the shape from scratch?

Thanks for the interest.

Yes the model is built from scratch with help from a lot of reference. Using Blender3d I made a low polygon model then sculpted in the fine details.
Pic shows the low polygon version next to the final sculpted version, The floor grid lines are 1m apart.

tyrantqueen

Dinoreplicas

Managed to get some photos of my first print in the White Strong & Flexible material, really happy with the detail.
Anyone got any advice on how I can paint this thing? I'd love to see some 3D print skeleton paintjobs if anyone out there has done something similar.

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 06, 2016, 10:45:52 PMBeautiful work :)

Thanks tyrantqueen, appreciation from this forum means a lot to me.
The original intention was to be accurate, aesthetically I'm happy to share honors with Mother Nature. I find dinosaurs among the most beautiful of animals and I never get tired of looking at their skeletons.

tyrantqueen

QuoteAnyone got any advice on how I can paint this thing?

Water based acrylic paint works fine.

Dinoreplicas

OK got some acrylics. Not too happy with my first attempt though.
Too contrasty, next one will be better.

tyrantqueen

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.