News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

avatar_Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Rare and Obscure Magazine Articles

Started by Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews), August 11, 2016, 05:20:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

I looked around a bit and it didn't look like there was any general discussion thread on this particular topic, so I thought I'd start one. (We can delete this if I missed an older thread.) This thread is for the discussion of any rare, obscure, or otherwise hard-to-find magazine articles on paleontological subjects.

I'll get the ball rolling with my impetus for starting this thread. Has anybody ever heard of a magazine article by George Olshevsky and illustrated by Tracy Ford regarding stegosaur evolution? Apparently the highlight of the article was an illustrated series of hypothetical "transitional forms" between known species. I can't find a single image of it online, and barely even any mention of it. It was apparently a Japanese publication, which would explain its obscurity, at least for us Anglophones. I'd love to see some scans of the relevant images if by chance somebody here has a copy!

Olshevsky, G. & Ford, T. L., 1993. "The Origin and Evolution of the
Stegosaurs," Kyoryugaku Saizensen [Dino-Frontline] 4: 64รข103 [illustrations
by T. L. Ford; in Japanese]

tyrantqueen

Not sure how relevant this is to the discussion, but the most obscure thing I own is a little Japanese magazine/pamphlet with some very nice retro artwork. I look for Japanese dinosaur books on Yahoo Japan regularly, it's a mini hobby of mine.

I can share more photos if people are curious.

Derek.McManus

It's a very nice piece of retro artwork, the Stegosaurs doesn't even seem to be reacting to its attacker!

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 11, 2016, 11:29:22 AM
Not sure how relevant this is to the discussion, but the most obscure thing I own is a little Japanese magazine/pamphlet with some very nice retro artwork. I look for Japanese dinosaur books on Yahoo Japan regularly, it's a mini hobby of mine.

I can share more photos if people are curious.

Feel free! This thread is meant to be a general discussion of the topic. I only asked for something specific to help get the ball rolling. I'd love to see more images of your magazine(s) though!

Libraraptor

I once wrote an article for an advertising paper, when Jurassic Park hype was at its top:

Halichoeres

Quote from: Libraraptor on August 21, 2016, 05:18:31 PM
I once wrote an article for an advertising paper, when Jurassic Park hype was at its top:

No update for JW?  ;)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Very interesting! Did you choose the illustrations, or did somebody else? The Velociraptor on the right certainly looks Paulian, but I'm not sure where the others come from.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.