You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Permian Extinction Estimates Over-exaggerated?

Started by RaptorRex, October 06, 2016, 01:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaptorRex

Recently a new paper came out revealing that the long-held estimate that the Permian extinction wiped out 90-96% of marine life is false. In actuality, it only wiped out about 81%, which is still a massive number, but nowhere as high as we thought. Here's an article about it:

https://cosmosmagazine.com/palaeontology/mass-extinctions-were-not-so-massive-study

Halichoeres

Still massive, and more to the point, still the largest in Earth's history. Thanks for sharing!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

stargatedalek

A 4-5% survival rate always felt silly to me, as if it was only including a very rough estimate based on known species instead of average potential biodiversity.

Derek.McManus

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.