News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

F

austroraptor feathers ?

Started by fason, October 10, 2016, 03:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fason

today while walking around I found what I believe to be a heron feather , after washing it I realized  it was waterproof  unlike my other pigeon feathers , that got me thinking , would fishing raptors like austroraptor have  similar features ?

fason

also could you use imprints of raptor feathers to determine if they were water dwelling raptors and learn more about their behavior .

Newt

That's an interesting question! But very difficult to answer.

First, how sure are you that Austroraptor was a fisher?

Different groups of living swimming and wading birds use different methods for waterproofing their feathers. Ducks and penguins use oil from a gland near the tail base. Herons use special "powder down" feathers that crumble into an oily powder. Anhingas and cormorants don't have waterproof feathers at all. Whether oil glands or powder down would have been present in dromaeosauroids, I don't know. Because waterproofing feathers relies on coating them with oil or powder, a fossil feather impression would probably not tell you much.

The next question is: did Austroraptor have any need for waterproof feathers? The main function of waterproofing is to maintain the air layer trapped beneath the feathers, aiding with insulation and flight. Austroraptor was flightless, so that's out; did it live in a cool enough environment that it would need extra protection?

fason

I had heard that it would have fished because of its snout  shape ,  i am no expert though so really I don't know.                                                  I guess I never took into account the fossilization process  , the feather was odd and would retake its form even after each filament was tampered with , so I though there were some visual differences too  , thanks for the information on the waterproofing on feathers though .                           I just guessed it would need waterproof feathers as after being in the water I thought  it would bog it down  , making it  very heavy .

I think I got my answer though , thank you

fason

Dinoguy2

There are non-neornithean feathers in amber from Canada which show evidence of waterproofing. We don't know what kind of dinosaurs they come from but it shows at least some Mesozoic species did have waterproof feathers without the aid of oils. This seems like something that could easily evolve multiple times in multiple lineages.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

fason

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.