News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Good place to visit in Alberta

Started by Digibasherx, October 05, 2016, 01:09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Digibasherx

Hey guys,

I'm heading to Alberta this week, and will be at the Royal Tyrrell Museum and the Dinosaur Provincial Park.  Anyone with recommendations on where to check out dino figures, collectibles or generally good places to visit.

Thanks.

Halichoeres

Never been, sadly, so can't recommend anything. I almost went there for college, but failed to submit my visa paperwork. Hope you'll share photos of your museum visit!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

I've not been to the Tyrrell in nearly twenty years, sadly, but from what I gather, the selection of toys in the gift shop is not good. Seems to be a sad trend these days in museums. :(
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

danmalcolm

The entire town of Drumheller is a paleo paradise... you just need to drive down the main streets and you'll see loads of shops, attractions, etc. There are some quite good ones, with a lot of interesting stuff! Sadly I can't remember any names... you'll just have to go and explore for yourself!

stargatedalek

Quote from: suspsy on October 05, 2016, 08:29:20 PM
I've not been to the Tyrrell in nearly twenty years, sadly, but from what I gather, the selection of toys in the gift shop is not good. Seems to be a sad trend these days in museums. :(
Indeed, in general your best bet is educational toy stores rather than museums. Harvard and the New England Aquarium are the only ones I've visited in the past few years to have avoided the Schleich plague.

Digibasherx

The Royal Tyrrell actually had a lot of CollectA and Wild Safari, and I was able to pick up a few, the prices aren't too bad considering I don't have to pay for shipping and lower tax rate. I was quite impressed with the Royal Tyrrell and the Dinosaur provincial park visitor center as small as that was.

I picked up Wild Safari Tapejara, Ankylosaurus, Miragara (almost all of them have scuffing on the plates) and the Diplodocus.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 06, 2016, 06:25:06 PM
Quote from: suspsy on October 05, 2016, 08:29:20 PM
Indeed, in general your best bet is educational toy stores rather than museums. Harvard and the New England Aquarium are the only ones I've visited in the past few years to have avoided the Schleich plague.
Also, at least last time I visited there, the Museum of Ancient Life has a lot of Safaris in its gift shop.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

SBell

Quote from: Digibasherx on October 14, 2016, 02:24:44 AM
The Royal Tyrrell actually had a lot of CollectA and Wild Safari, and I was able to pick up a few, the prices aren't too bad considering I don't have to pay for shipping and lower tax rate. I was quite impressed with the Royal Tyrrell and the Dinosaur provincial park visitor center as small as that was.

I picked up Wild Safari Tapejara, Ankylosaurus, Miragara (almost all of them have scuffing on the plates) and the Diplodocus.

I was at the Tyrrell a year ago, and it was almost entirely Schleich (on Safari shelves). A few years earlier, it was a mix of CollectA, Papo, Schleich and Safari.

The other major dino attraction, Fossil World, may not be open (apparently shutting on OCt 17 for the year), but it featured a pretty impressive store if it is. http://www.fossilworld.com/FW/Home.html

There is also the Fossil Shop if you want AAA stuff. There aren't the same number of shops as there used to be unfortunately--and what is there is kind of all the same (so much AAA and Edufun nonsense).

Unfortunately, some things may be closed or closing for the season.

But they're all still better than the Phillip J Currie Dinosaur Centre gift shop (in Grande Prairie--that is not a day drive). It was tragic, to be kind.

stargatedalek

Quote from: SBell on October 14, 2016, 07:02:01 AM
There is also the Fossil Shop if you want AAA stuff. There aren't the same number of shops as there used to be unfortunately--and what is there is kind of all the same (so much AAA and Edufun nonsense).
Not to derail the thread, but if you happen to find the amazing AAA Squilla/Mantis Shrimp you know who you can trade it to for basically any dinosaurs you may want ;)

SBell

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 14, 2016, 07:33:18 PM
Quote from: SBell on October 14, 2016, 07:02:01 AM
Not to derail the thread, but if you happen to find the amazing AAA Squilla/Mantis Shrimp you know who you can trade it to for basically any dinosaurs you may want ;)

It's all lame AAA dinos, unfortunately.

Digibasherx

Yeah, they Royal Tyrrell had quite a bit of Schleich, and a some papo still.  I visited the Fossil World discovery Center to see what they had, figured it was a tourist place.  Both days I went they were already closed and I didn't bother going to the Fossil shop as it also looked closed for the day.  I'm guessing a lot of the places in Drumheller closes early in the off season.  5pm and the town is pretty much dead.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.