You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What scale are the two small CollectA Spinosaurus?

Started by tyrantqueen, November 15, 2017, 12:48:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

I've tried qwanting for an answer but I can't find anything. CollectA doesn't offer any info on their website.

Does anyone have a rough idea of the scale of these two guys? I especially love the swimming figure.

Many thanks :)

RobinGoodfellow

The Collecta swimming Spinosaurus is 26,5 cm long (measured with a flexible tape along the body) / 10,4" .
The real length of the Spinosaurus is not well known: from 13 to 18 mt.

So if it was 13 mt, the Collecta is at 1:49.
If Spinosaurus was 18 mt, the figure is at 1:68.

If  "In medio stat virtus", I could call the Collecta as a 1:60 figure (more or less  ;) )

tyrantqueen

Thanks, as a small scale collector, that sounds like a good size.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on November 15, 2017, 01:16:33 PM
The Collecta swimming Spinosaurus is 26,5 cm long (measured with a flexible tape along the body) / 10,4" .
The real length of the Spinosaurus is not well known: from 13 to 18 mt.

So if it was 13 mt, the Collecta is at 1:49.
If Spinosaurus was 18 mt, the figure is at 1:68.

If  "In medio stat virtus", I could call the Collecta as a 1:60 figure (more or less  ;) )

And if it's one of the smaller Spino specimens which seem to have pretty similar proportions, it could easily fit in with a 1:40 display. We don't have to assume every model represents a record-breaking specimen.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

RobinGoodfellow

Yes, you're right.
Personally I'm not a scale-addicted collectors.
And every dinosaur had a growing-path, from less than a meter to several meters in length (with everything in between).
However if a collector is more concerned about scale, it doesn't make any sense to mix 1:40 scale figure with 1:60 ones.
It's not formally wrong but you lose every visual reference between models if scales are too different from each other..
Every 1:40 Tyrannosaurus is bigger than the Collecta Swimming Spinosaurus and that could be strange into an in-scale-collection.. (Spino is well known for being bigger than Rex).
Or not ?  ;)

:)

p.s    BTW  The real length of Spinosaurus is not well known...

Dinoguy2

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on November 18, 2017, 01:57:36 PM
Yes, you're right.
Personally I'm not a scale-addicted collectors.
And every dinosaur had a growing-path, from less than a meter to several meters in length (with everything in between).
However if a collector is more concerned about scale, it doesn't make any sense to mix 1:40 scale figure with 1:60 ones.
It's not formally wrong but you lose every visual reference between models if scales are too different from each other..
Every 1:40 Tyrannosaurus is bigger than the Collecta Swimming Spinosaurus and that could be strange into an in-scale-collection.. (Spino is well known for being bigger than Rex).
Or not ?  ;)

:)

p.s    BTW  The real length of Spinosaurus is not well known...

Spino is well known for being bigger than Rex "at maximum known size". There are plenty of adult spinosaurus specimens significantly smaller than Sue. Heck, there are plenty of adult Rex specimens smaller than the maximum size of Allosaurus. The issue is that dinosaurs continued to grow through most of their lives after becoming adult, so to act like one size is more correct than another is highly misleading.

The issue for me with mixing scales is when the proportions don't line up. Yes that ankylosaurus May be the correct length at this scale but it's head is bigger than any known ankylo skull? That means it's actually a smaller individual and thus a different scale.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.