News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What Japanese toy dinosaurs are hard to find?

Started by Shonisaurus, February 26, 2017, 01:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

What Japanese toy dinosaurs are hard to find?

Hello forum members, I am trying to increase my collection of toy dinosaur figures and I am starting the collection of dinosaur figures from Japan and I would like to start first of all in the most difficult figures to find of dinosaurs in PVC or similar from different companies from Japan.

I am trying to find the saurolophus of Museum 2013's Favorite.

I am also missing, besides a multitude of figures, the following dinosaur figures from the Museum of 2016:

Bistahieversor vs 2016 pentaceratops and guanlong vs yinlong 2016 of Favorite. I am not able to find them by any store. Are there any figures other than Favorite or Kaiyodo (to put another example) in PVC and the like that are difficult to find?

On the other hand that Japanese toy dinosaur companies are almost inaccessible to the buyer.

Thanks in advance.

MLMjp

Hello Shonisaurus.

Japanese dinosaur are definitely difficult to obtain, some websites sell Favorite soft and vinyl models. But just the regular releases.

The exclusive ones like the Saurolophus, Pentaceratops set or Guanglong set are...well..EXCLUSIVES. They are only sold in Japan, in expos that do not come outside of Japan. So if you want one of those you either go to Japan and then to the expo, or look for them on eBay. But of course the prices on eBay will be very very high. there is a member of this forum that sell japanese stuff. bretjj I believe was his name.
He might be able to help you, however don't expect him to have everything you are looking for because like us, he has his own limitations. But he is a trusted seller in this forum, so if he is able to find something for you. I think you will be satisfied.

RobinGoodfellow

I ordered all of my japanese stuff directly to a japanese reseller.
He can find Favorite, Kanna, Colorata, Kaiyodo and other brands usually hard to find in Europe.
His fee is 15%.
He (obviously) speaks english and has Paypal; he's a trustworthy reseller.
Fast, accurate, safe and reasonable shipping.
But no Special Edition sold in museum/Expo shops only ( like the Fukui sets ).
PM me if want to contact him directly.

Another excellent source for japan figures is HobbyLink Japan (  http://hlj.com/ ) - worldwide shipping / Paypal -.

:)

RobinGoodfellow

About Favorite Saurolophus, I've been searching for that figure for about 3 years without success.
And my research is always a deep research....  ;)
It's a expo exclusive and one of the most elusive figure on the market.
Then  last summer Favorite sold it at the Fukui Expo.
Brett took orders about that and now I have my Favorite Saurolophus.
Now the chance is gone.... I don't think you'll find that figure easily or at a reasonable price...
I hope you'll be lucky.
:)

Mirroraptor

Yes, as you said some of Japanese dinosaur figures are very hard to get-for example I know the Pteranodon by Kaiyodo Dinoland at 1990s, sculpted by Mr.Shinobu Matsumura. I can't find it anywhere.
Some of those figures can be find in some museum's souvenir shop. If you want some old Favorite dinosaur models, you can get them in the souvenir shop of FPDM maybe. The other way to find them is the second-hand hobbyshop in Japan, I found Kaiyodo Dinoland's Dilophosaurus, 1/20 Velociraptor and Mr.Hirokazu Tokugawa's 1/48 Stegosaurus there.
And Osaka also has some good place to get old figures, Osaka's Kaiyodo Shop is a good place. And my friend found some old Matsumura and Araki figures in Tennoji Zoo. Sadly, my home is too far from Osaka, I've only been there a few times and never get any figure.

Lanthanotus

I bought several Japanese figures from Brett and his source which always ran smooth, fast and for a good price. And they seem to be capable of rooting out almost any figure.

I also bought several things via ebay shops cause there were some nice cheap chance buys. However, I had to learn about German customs that way which charge horrendeous fees for items/parcels with a declared value of more than around 40€. As official ebay shops list the retail price in the papers, I ended up paying a lot more than intended, so I'll not buy anything from ebay shops anymore if the price is higher than that. My bad, but I guess if you buy directly from a private person (as Brett or a direct contact to Japan) you can ask them to declare the value within a reasonable range that avoids custom fees.

SBell

Quote from: Mirroraptor on March 21, 2017, 11:15:59 AM
Yes, as you said some of Japanese dinosaur figures are very hard to get-for example I know the Pteranodon by Kaiyodo Dinoland at 1990s, sculpted by Mr.Shinobu Matsumura. I can't find it anywhere.
Some of those figures can be find in some museum's souvenir shop. If you want some old Favorite dinosaur models, you can get them in the souvenir shop of FPDM maybe. The other way to find them is the second-hand hobbyshop in Japan, I found Kaiyodo Dinoland's Dilophosaurus, 1/20 Velociraptor and Mr.Hirokazu Tokugawa's 1/48 Stegosaurus there.
And Osaka also has some good place to get old figures, Osaka's Kaiyodo Shop is a good place. And my friend found some old Matsumura and Araki figures in Tennoji Zoo. Sadly, my home is too far from Osaka, I've only been there a few times and never get any figure.

One of the big issues is that most of us didn't even know about these figures until long after they were unavailable--the Aqualand and Dinoland series have an amazing variety of figures, but they were from the 90s (pre-Internet!) and now they are nearly impossible to track down--more so, for decent prices!

CityRaptor

Don't forget the Tamiya Pteranodon:

It's from the their 80s Prehistoric World series and the only way to get one was visiting the factory.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Mirroraptor

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 21, 2017, 04:21:33 PM

It's from the their 80s Prehistoric World series and the only way to get one was visiting the factory.
Tamiya's old Pterosaurs series can be found in the second-hand hobby shop, sometimes you can get them on Yahoo Japan. Pteranodon and Ornithocheirus are not really hard to find.
What puzzles me is I have seen a group of Pterodaustro and Ornithocheirus kit, small-scale. I was told that they were made by Kaiyodo, but can't find them on Kaiyodo's product. I didn't get them, and I saw them again on Yahoo Japan a few days ago.

SBell

Quote from: Mirroraptor on March 22, 2017, 11:23:44 AM
Quote from: CityRaptor on March 21, 2017, 04:21:33 PM

Tamiya's old Pterosaurs series can be found in the second-hand hobby shop, sometimes you can get them on Yahoo Japan. Pteranodon and Ornithocheirus are not really hard to find.
What puzzles me is I have seen a group of Pterodaustro and Ornithocheirus kit, small-scale. I was told that they were made by Kaiyodo, but can't find them on Kaiyodo's product. I didn't get them, and I saw them again on Yahoo Japan a few days ago.

Apparently you should be buying them and reselling them here!  ;)

CityRaptor

Tamiya had a Pterosaur series including an Ornithocheirus?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Mirroraptor

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 22, 2017, 01:52:46 PM
Tamiya had a Pterosaur series including an Ornithocheirus?
My friend has an Ornithocheirus model, I always thought it was Tamiya. And this series also had a Quetzalcoatlus.
I don't know how to upload photos

Lanthanotus

Upload your image to any image service as imageshack.us, flickr or the likes and then simply copy and paste the URL here.

Mirroraptor

Thanks. I know that these pterosaurs figures are from an old Factory called Goblin Studio.
Here are the photos.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/153459177@N06/
(I still can't use flickr to upload photos and I don't know why.)

Halichoeres

Here's a link on posting photos: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=173.0

And here's an example using one of your pterosaur photos, if you quote my post you can see what I did.

Anyway, those are nice looking models. It looks like a Pteranodon sternbergi and a Quetzalcoatlus?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.