News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Eoconfuciusornis: The Most Well Preserved Fossil Bird

Started by Loon, March 25, 2017, 05:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

"In a new paper published in National Science Review, a team of scientists from the Institute of Vertebrate Paleontology and Paleoanthropology, the Shandong Tianyu Museum of Nature, and the Nanjing Institute of Geology and Paleontology (all in China) described the most exceptionally preserved fossil bird discovered to date." - Science Daily

Here's the article:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/03/170324192645.htm

Halichoeres

Wow, incredible. Propatagium, ovaries--a few years ago I would have thought it unreasonable to expect such things to ever be preserved.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

PaleoMatt

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 25, 2017, 07:56:49 PM
Wow, incredible. Propatagium, ovaries--a few years ago I would have thought it unreasonable to expect such things to ever be preserved.

I know right. It reminds me of the mosasaur colouration and other marine creatures. Remember me if Jurassic Park opens by 2100!

ZoPteryx

Sinornis

Yes, an incredible fossil find! In addition to the ovaries and propatagium, what surprised me most about the Eoconfuciusornis fossil was the length of the feathers on or near the base of the skull. Those feathers are double the width of the skull!! I was also surprised to see that the reconstruction artwork in the article failed to address those long feathers, and barely mentions them in the study. I attached two images from the study and one of a Nicobar pigeon for possible comparison.

http://avianmusing.blogspot.com/

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Sinornis on March 29, 2017, 06:10:10 PM
Yes, an incredible fossil find! In addition to the ovaries and propatagium, what surprised me most about the Eoconfuciusornis fossil was the length of the feathers on or near the base of the skull. Those feathers are double the width of the skull!! I was also surprised to see that the reconstruction artwork in the article failed to address those long feathers, and barely mentions them in the study. I attached two images from the study and one of a Nicobar pigeon for possible comparison.

Interesting observation. Are those feathers on the Nicobar pigeon actually longer than usual, or just unusually narrow/display-adapted? I feel like most pigeons and other small birds have extremely long neck feathers than hide the contours of the long skeletal neck.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Sinornis

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on March 29, 2017, 07:36:24 PM
Quote from: Sinornis on March 29, 2017, 06:10:10 PM

Interesting observation. Are those feathers on the Nicobar pigeon actually longer than usual, or just unusually narrow/display-adapted? I feel like most pigeons and other small birds have extremely long neck feathers than hide the contours of the long skeletal neck.

Yes, they are longer than usual, and most likely for display.
Here is what I found on one website (not easy to find!) about the Nicobar Pigeon neck feathers; "Males are metallic-green/blue with coppery reflections.  The head and flight feather colors are slate blue to black.  They have a "mane" of long, hair-like feathers around the neck.  The long neck feathers, called hackles, are black and purple iridescence.  The very short tail is pure white.  Females have shorter neck hackles."
Like other pigeons, courtship display often entails cooing and bowing, which plays nicely into this type of feather usage. But for Eoconfuciusornis, doesn't makes sense since it was a female. From an appearance standpoint, the artist rendition of Eoconfuciusornis seems way off, but their feathers could have possibly hung down much like the pigeons.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.