News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Torosaurus Skeleton Help

Started by Loon, March 23, 2017, 07:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

Hello all, I've been working on some ceratopsian reconstructions recently and I want to start working on a Torosaurus latus; the problem is: I can't find any skeletal reconstructions for the animal. I've heard it is best to use related animals for a base;so, should I use Triceratops prorsus or horridus, or maybe another ceratopsian? If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.

Halichoeres

I don't know much specifically about the postcranium of Torosaurus, but it seems to me that since some argue for its identity with Triceratops, and that every bit of that argument pertains to skull characteristics, the postcranium is probably similar enough that you can use a Triceratops skeletal to reconstruct Torosaurus.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Loon

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 23, 2017, 10:23:36 PM
I don't know much specifically about the postcranium of Torosaurus, but it seems to me that since some argue for its identity with Triceratops, and that every bit of that argument pertains to skull characteristics, the postcranium is probably similar enough that you can use a Triceratops skeletal to reconstruct Torosaurus.
Would it be better to use prorsus or horridus?

Prorsus

Horridus

ZoPteryx

While I've seen skulls of both species used in the debate, I believe T. horridus is usually the preferred comparison because it already possesses Torosaurus' longer snout and shorter nasal horn.

Loon

This is just something I put together really quick; would something along these lines be a decent starting point?

I combined the body of Scott Hartman's horridus with the skull of this latus that shows some of the post cranial material that's known.

Dinoguy2

I don't think there are any reported differences in the post crania of horridus and prorsus either. Any differences you see in the skeletal are art style or different interpretations of bone position (or errors).
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.