News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

JURASSIC - 'epic' graphic novel

Started by WarrenJB, July 14, 2017, 05:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WarrenJB

Nicked from the DML:

www.kbzk.com/story/35857413/bozeman-artist-pens-epic-graphic-novel-about-dinosaurs

It's interesting and kind of exciting to see a comic about dinosaurs, but things put me off. There's the lack of awareness to begin with - 'Rechlin said he doesn't know of anyone else making graphic novels about dinosaurs. "As far as I can tell," he told Last Best News, "I've got the field pretty much to myself."' Not a clue about Ricardo Delgado's Age Of Reptiles, to say nothing of Xenozoic Tales, 2000AD's 'Flesh' series, and any other bits and pieces. What else doesn't he know about the history of comics, and their making?
The accuracy of the dinosaurs and drawing looks competent, but I think the inking is dull (it really looks like 'just tracing', except it seems to be flattening details too) and the colouring is excruciating. Mostly it looks like a step above fill-tool work, with generally natural but flat, unexciting colours and photoshopped textures, and that makes the crazy bits stand out all the more. Fluorescent blue brontosaurs? Torvosaurs with chromium green mouths? Theropods with eyes that glow like pink and green LEDs? It's been a while since I saw comic colorists go wild with this kind of oblivious abandon. It's just missing a few lens flares pinging off the teeth.
And then there's the Jurassic Park font in the colouring-in pages. That needs to go in the same bin as Comic Sans and Papyrus.

Overall it reminds me of some movie adaptations, or comics published by random businesses or other institutions, or vanity projects by celebs who heard that comics and superheroes are kind of popular these days. Like it's just a matter of putting pictures in boxes, and speech bubbles and oversized words like 'POW' and 'WHAM' in the pictures. There aren't many preview images, so maybe Ted can pull it off with his composition, pacing, and other storytelling skills; but with those radioactive dinosaurs running about, they'd have to be exceptional.

stargatedalek

Despite his depictions being modern, I'd say they're too modern. He more or less spells out that he follows whatever the most recent paper is without daring to question it or acknowledge opposition from unpublished sources (IE blog posts by others in the field or very aware enthusiasts who don't feel the rebuttal of a paper warrants a paper in itself).

Blade-of-the-Moon

yeah he def forgot Ricardo, he's been doing the exact same thing minus words lol

The art looks alright, clean enough, but real emotion or feeling anywhere to draw you in.  I;d have to read the story to comment on it.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

I think Rechlin meant currently. I interacted with him recently and he cited Delgado as an inspiration.
I rather liked it myself! The colors might look a little garish to some, but I like the flashy designs. It breaks up the monotony of a lot of pop paleo offerings. I particularly enjoyed seeing BRONTOSMASH! make the jump from the internet to a printed book.
https://dinodadreviews.com/2019/02/12/jurassic-ted-rechlin/

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.