News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Brian Switek on Edmontosaurus

Started by suspsy, April 19, 2017, 10:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

https://omni.media/the-dead-zoo-edmontosaurus

Wasn't aware that Ugrunaaluk had been reclassified as Edmontosaurus. Too bad, it was a cool name. And someone really needs to release a toy with the head comb!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Pachyrhinosaurus

It's interesting that the picture has an edmontosaurus with iguana-like spines. Is that new or is it speculation? I've only ever seen squareish spines on hadrosaurs.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on April 20, 2017, 02:14:07 AM
It's interesting that the picture has an edmontosaurus with iguana-like spines. Is that new or is it speculation? I've only ever seen squareish spines on hadrosaurs.

I think it's speculation. Showing square spines on all hadrosaurs is wrong - that's the kind seen on Brachylophosaurus, but other hadrosaurs have different shapes or no spines or a continuous ridge (like in Edmontosaurus annectens). There seem to have been as many varieties of dorsal ridges as there were crests.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on April 20, 2017, 04:50:34 PM

I think it's speculation. Showing square spines on all hadrosaurs is wrong - that's the kind seen on Brachylophosaurus, but other hadrosaurs have different shapes or no spines or a continuous ridge (like in Edmontosaurus annectens). There seem to have been as many varieties of dorsal ridges as there were crests.

I was never sure whether the single ridge or individual spines was preferred. If the continuous ridge was found on E. annectens, would that mean that that's the least speculative option for E. regalis?
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on April 21, 2017, 02:24:01 AM
Quote from: Dinoguy2 on April 20, 2017, 04:50:34 PM

I was never sure whether the single ridge or individual spines was preferred. If the continuous ridge was found on E. annectens, would that mean that that's the least speculative option for E. regalis?

Not necessarily. Saurolophus and Brachylophosaurus bracket Edmontosaurus and they both have separated ridges so that was probably the ancestral condition (though the shapes of the spines were different in both and S. osborni seems to have lacked any ridge). So  Edmontosaurus regalis could have had a connected ridge or could have still had the ancestral separated ridge.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.