You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Hadrosaur excavation completed in Hokkaido

Started by Halichoeres, May 02, 2017, 06:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

They're calling it the largest, most complete Japanese dinosaur, an as-yet-unnamed hadrosaurid. Good candidate for plastic treatment by Favorite or Kaiyodo in the next couple of years, I'd say.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/04/28/national/science-health/japans-largest-fossilized-dinosaur-skeleton-unearthed-hokkaido/#.WQidudxOnIU
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

BlueKrono

We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Halichoeres

There's Tambatitanis, so this hadrosaur wouldn't be the largest dinosaur, but it could still be the largest skeleton, if Tambatitanis is fragmentary enough. Here's the material from the Tambatitanis description:

"a partial skeleton represented by teeth, a braincase, a dentary, an atlas, a fragmentary cervical vertebra, fragmentary dorsal vertebrae, dorsal ribs, first sacral ribs, spine of sacral vertebrae, a pubis, an ilium, caudal vertebrae and chevrons."

Sounds pretty similar, really.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Jose S.M.

Probably will get an expo exclusive figure.

Halichoeres

Incidentally, the Tambatitanis description is worth downloading if you are good at Magic Eye, since it has lots of "stereo-pair" photographs of individual bones, that look 3D if you can un-focus your eyes just right. I myself find it really difficult, but if you do not: http://biotaxa.org/Zootaxa/article/view/zootaxa.3848.1.1/19449

Neosodon

What Hadrosaurs lived in Japan? It seems like they could take some guesses at what it might be.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Halichoeres

Quote from: Neosodon on May 02, 2017, 07:04:36 PM
What Hadrosaurs lived in Japan? It seems like they could take some guesses at what it might be.

I don't think any are known from Japan, but Hokkaido wasn't an island then, so it could easily be a hadrosaur from the Campanian/Maastrichtian of mainland Asia, maybe Bactrosaurus or something.

Flaffy

CityRaptor

Could be. Or this guy:
http://powerrangers.wikia.com/wiki/Giganoid_4:_Revival

Kidding, but it is probably a genus close to Fukuisaurus.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Halichoeres

I don't think it's going to be Fukuisaurus, because Fukuisaurus isn't a hadrosaur (although it's not far off), it's 50 million or so years earlier, and it's half the size.

ZoPteryx

I'm guessing it's a new saurolophine of some sort.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.