News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Raptor Pack by RareBreed (shapeways)?

Started by paintingdinos, May 29, 2017, 04:10:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paintingdinos

Hi all, just joined the forum today. I've dabbled in model painting for a while, but have recently discovered painting dinos. Shapeways especially has become dangerous territory, as there are some really lovely things there. I've already ordered 2 of gorgonzola's Cryolophosaurus (still working on building an adequate base for them, then paint), and am in the process of painting the 4 Dromaeosaurs/Raptors from Krentz (I'll post progress pics below).

I really like the ultra stylized look of this pack of raptors by RareBreed:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/XLPM3AN62/raptor-pack?optionId=60417803

And wanted to know if anyone here has purchased them before? I joined this forum after finding some really great examples of the Kentz models and the Cryos, but haven't seen examples of these yet.

I noticed they don't offer a FUD option for these guys, so I'd really be curious to see if the WSF shows off the feather details... or, even better, see if anyone has tried ordering anything in the Hi-Def Acrylate (seems like the best option, but very spendy for something I've got no examples to look at).

Here's a shot of the Krentz raptor pack that I'm working on now (2/4 done):

The rest live here: https://baphdinos.imgur.com/

danmalcolm

Nice painting of the Krentz drops, they look great. I have them, along with rbs velociraptor and deinonychus, all in wsf (and bsf) and to be honest they're so fuzzy that they almost benefit from the rougher texture. They end up looking like they actually have feathers (vs. Some plastic/pvc feathered dinos that aren't as convincing, imo). I love detail but I don't regret getting them in wsf at all.

paintingdinos

Thanks for the info! I was nervous to try WSF due to the grainy texture possibly obscuring details, but if it still looks good I'll probably give it a try. The considerable price difference is also attractive.

Neosodon

Welcome to the forum! :)

What paint do you use for you dinosaurs? I use regular modeling paint to fix scratches on mine but it does not hold that well.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

paintingdinos

Thanks!

For mine I use acrylic paint of varying brands depending on the color/what its used for (basic hobby acrylic from Michaels for some stuff, all the way to the overpriced GW model paints/primer for others).

If your paint isn't sticking after a touch up, I would imagine its because there isn't primer for it to stick to (assuming you're painting on top of something that's already painted/finished?). You might be able to get around that by painting the cracks and then varnishing/sealing just those areas, but I've never actually tried that myself.

I've only recently started painting dinos, but all my prior stuff was sealed with liquitex satin varnish/testors dullcote after painting- I've never had an issue with losing paint, but all of those models were also primed beforehand so I'm not sure which is doing more good there!

paintingdinos

So I finally picked these up, and I really enjoy them! Very stylized, love the exaggerated feathers. I got them in WSF, not my favorite thing in the world to paint, but I also didn't clean them up beyond a simple soap/water wash.

I've got the middle "Deinonychus" painted:

danmalcolm

Dobber

My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

paintingdinos

The "Velociraptor" from this set is now done! I love the Bearded Vulture look that David Silva used for his upcoming raptor toy, so I took that idea and ran with.

OpalornisHuali

These are so tiny and adorable!! And nice job painting them, they look wonderful

postsaurischian

:D Gorgeous paintjobs! Very beautiful & innovative!
You have produced two jewels out of something I wasn't sure if it would look good anyway.
Now I know better. Wonderful!!

paintingdinos

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments.

The WSF plastic feels so difficult to paint on, the surface area is so irregular. I need to practice more so it looks a bit cleaner, these feel sloppy to me, but I really enjoyed painting them. The models definitely have a very stylized look to them, which I like a lot! 

paintingdinos

I procrastinated a lot on finishing the last of this set, "Achillobator". I couldn't think of a color scheme to use, and eventually said to heck with it and based the colors off my dog (http://i.imgur.com/mWbLn1f.jpg:P

This was by far my favorite to paint. I think if I do go back and get more from Shapeways, the frosted detailed plastics are just easier to paint for the smaller models. This one worked out great in WSF due to the size, I think. Way easier to see details.

The "family":

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.