News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

lady medusa's art

Started by Lady medusa, June 11, 2012, 05:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady medusa

Alot of this work is based off of dr. Robert bakkers ideals of utahraptor. I'm not planning on drowning my raptors in feathers I don't plant to go much further then the arms on the female. I will have feet scales on the male and possibly(if I can get it to look good) handscales on the female. Facial scales hmmmmm i really dont know ive always had the thought that raptors would have very small scales if any on the face but if theres evidence they did please let me know. As for the sitting pose, in Dr.bakkers book Raptor Red, he had a drawing of a sitting raptor in one of the pages. It was sitting on its pelvis pad with its head hanging down(actually further then the one I've depicted here) so I decided I would take a swing at it. FYI the arm pose is based off of the what I call the chicken wing theory. Looking at several skeletal reconstructions of the raptor arm next to a chicken Wing.

On another note look for alot of crazy perspective art from me. I always find such photos and art very fascinating so I'm challenging myself to try such perspectives. The fish eye lens look I will be using on some marine reptiles and suchomimus.

Gryphoceratops

Okay I was just wondering.  I do think that some texture on the face would be cool especially at this close of a perspective.  It would make your piece pop depth wise even more than it is already!  might be something fun to try out given the time.   ^-^

Lady medusa

Oh I agree. How I would do that is goin to take abit of looking into since small scales aren't my strong suit. Looks like I'm going to be doing some vulture and gecko research today! ;)

Lady medusa

ok so here lately ive gotten some stuff updated!!!! i have the edmontosaurus chick done, im working on the nest now but because of moving next month im feeling a bit lost. im super worried about moving my scale models too. ive kinda been working on my utahraptors but im not going to lie im nervous about texturing the head of atleast the male however i havent finished enough to post an updated photo of it.

the carnotaurus painting has gotten quite a bit further and my version 1 of suchomimus is starting to be sketched and textured :P

[attachment msg=13312][/attachment]

Blade-of-the-Moon

The Edmontosaurs do look really cute.. lol :)

My 2nd favorite dino Suchomimus ! Really digging the pose..and I love spiney theropods ! ;D

Lady medusa

I'm a fan of spinosaurids too! In this image it's protecting it's nest but from what I haven't decided yet. I thought about sarcosuchus but the image of suchomimus vs sarchosuchus is depicted very often so I'd like to go for something out of the ordinary. Open for suggestions ;) .

Lady medusa

And speaking of suggestions soon I will be working on my spinosaurus painting but I got to finish drawing the other critters. So now I need some help with what the lungfish looked like back then as well as the species of turtle(s). Even a good website would be useful. I've been looking for info but all I come up with is very vague information.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Maybe it's driving off egg thieving pterosaurs ? ;D

When it comes to using other species unless they were found nearby or in the same exact level of strata it's hard to say. I would go with something close like this Cretaceous African Turtle : http://www.app.pan.pl/article/item/app20080063.html

For the fish maybe a type of coelacanth ? I did find this species of lungfish : http://www.oucom.ohiou.edu/dbms-stevens/documents/Gottfried%20et%20al%202009%20Lupoceratus.pdf

Like I said you may want to generalize a bit..it can be a pain find exact species.. :/

Yutyrannus

I think the Suchomimus should be protecting it's eggs from a varanid lizard. Though I don't know of any specific species from that time and place, but they could've been there. As for stealing eggs modern Nile monitors commonly raid the nests of Nile crocodiles. Also I had the same problem with trying to find a species of prehistoric lungfish for my Ceratosaurus drawing. I ended up finding Ceratodus :).

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Lady medusa

I like both the idea of a monitor-like lizard as well as the pterosaur idea. I also thought about a boid snake( a large constrictor) since they have been found in different fossil beds. The last time I tried to find an African pterosaur of Cretaceous era I couldn't find one BUT that doesn't mean anything cause it's well clarified that large pterosaurs could cross continents and oceans.

As for the spinosaurus painting coming up: I FINALLY found a good discribtion of a lungfish that shared the same habitat! This lungfish was huge, a spinosaurus size meal!! It got about 3 meters long and was very similar to today's Australian lungfish. As for other fish species I got to thinking and realized that ropefish(aka reedfish) has been around since the Triassic and lives in present day Africa. Also bichirs have been around since the mesozoic era so those too I may well add. Now turtles, um no luck yet so I could have to generalize but I would like to atleast know a general shape :( since freshwater turtles have like 4 different looks: soft shell, large headed snapper, slider, and flippered. :/

Lady medusa

Oh and that lungfish is Neoceratodus tuberculatus ;)

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Lady medusa on July 09, 2012, 03:29:29 AM
I like both the idea of a monitor-like lizard as well as the pterosaur idea. I also thought about a boid snake( a large constrictor) since they have been found in different fossil beds. The last time I tried to find an African pterosaur of Cretaceous era I couldn't find one BUT that doesn't mean anything cause it's well clarified that large pterosaurs could cross continents and oceans.

As for the spinosaurus painting coming up: I FINALLY found a good discribtion of a lungfish that shared the same habitat! This lungfish was huge, a spinosaurus size meal!! It got about 3 meters long and was very similar to today's Australian lungfish. As for other fish species I got to thinking and realized that ropefish(aka reedfish) has been around since the Triassic and lives in present day Africa. Also bichirs have been around since the mesozoic era so those too I may well add. Now turtles, um no luck yet so I could have to generalize but I would like to atleast know a general shape :( since freshwater turtles have like 4 different looks: soft shell, large headed snapper, slider, and flippered. :/
Actually there is a pterosaur that was found in Africa, it was discovered by Paul Sereno but is not officialy named. It is similar to Anhanguera. That boid snake idea it really cool too, I actually wouldn't be able to decide between the three ideas. I also found out out about Neoceratodus when I was trying.to find a lungfish that lived with Ceratosaurus.

Yutyrannus

Here are some pictures of the African pterosaur.

[attachment msg=13539][/attachment]

Yutyrannus

Sorry for some reason I was unable to put both pictures in the same post.

[attachment msg=13540][/attachment]

Yutyrannus

Here are some drawings of the mongolian varanid lizard Estesia, these are for reference in case you decide to use the lizard idea.

[attachment msg=13541][/attachment]

Yutyrannus

This is the skeleton of Wonambi, a reference for the boid idea, though not actually a boid, Wonambi is very similar to boids.

[attachment msg=13542][/attachment]

reidak12

Nice drawings. Love the Spinosaurs.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.