You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinosaurs went extinct in a few hours

Started by Neosodon, August 12, 2017, 12:08:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neosodon

https://www.facebook.com/naturalhistorymuseumofutah/videos/1450573701646920/ at about 6 minutes in.

I new that the meteor impact would have put off allot of heat but this is the first I have heard anyone propose it happened on a global scale. I have always felt confident about the starvation theory but this seems like it could be plausible.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

stargatedalek

Absolutely silly. If that were the case little more than microorganisms would have realistically survived.

Reptilia

Fascinating somehow, but the idea sounds more fitting for a sci-fi movie plot.

Neosodon

"Pizza Oven" temperature is a bit far fetched. But a few minutes of 150 - 200 degrees Fahrenheit temperature would have been enough to give any exposed animals heat strokes.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Faelrin

If it was that bad, wouldn't the rate of extinction be worse then the Permian-Triassic extinction?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

amargasaurus cazaui

There is also a serious issue with the "lag" zone....the evidence does not seem to match this scenario ...only one (1) triceratops horn has ever been found  even close to the iridium layer....
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Blade-of-the-Moon

eh..I don't buy it.  Sure the animal's nearest the point of impact would have and to various degrees out from it.  But extinction takes time...this sounds like a  media hype thing trying to put out something interesting or rehash it.

Soopairik

I doubt this happened, otherwise all other animals would've died too.

Papi-Anon

I've always been under the impression for years that the kicked-up carbon bonding with the atmospheric oxygen was one of the major reasons why the archosaur megafauna died out: that decreases in oxygen-content per breath paired with the non-avian dinosaurs having respiratory systems made for more oxygen-rich air did them in along with the breakdown of photosynthesis screwing up the food web.
Shapeways Store: The God-Fodder
DeviantArt: Papi-Anon
Cults3D: Papi-Anon

"They said I could be whatever I wanted to be when I evolved. So I decided to be a crocodile."
-Ambulocetus, 47.8–41.3mya

CityRaptor

Uh, actually bird-like lungs are actually found in Theropods and Sauropodomorphs. And oxygen was actually lower several times during the Mesozoic.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

stargatedalek

Quote from: Papi-Anon on September 03, 2017, 11:46:48 PM
I've always been under the impression for years that the kicked-up carbon bonding with the atmospheric oxygen was one of the major reasons why the archosaur megafauna died out: that decreases in oxygen-content per breath paired with the non-avian dinosaurs having respiratory systems made for more oxygen-rich air did them in along with the breakdown of photosynthesis screwing up the food web.
If the air chemistry changes were really that profound I'd expect to notice the die-off most strongly among fish, at least freshwater varieties. Instead it's more or less the opposite, wherein a lot of different groups of fish survived the event.

Papi-Anon

Quote from: CityRaptor on September 03, 2017, 11:56:55 PM
Uh, actually bird-like lungs are actually found in Theropods and Sauropodomorphs. And oxygen was actually lower several times during the Mesozoic.

Well, learned something new. Still don't buy into the oven-temp theory entirely.
Shapeways Store: The God-Fodder
DeviantArt: Papi-Anon
Cults3D: Papi-Anon

"They said I could be whatever I wanted to be when I evolved. So I decided to be a crocodile."
-Ambulocetus, 47.8–41.3mya

Simon

The size of the dinosaurs, combined with their warm-blooded energy (food) requirements, always suggested what this hypothesis provides further indication of - massive, catastrophic, sudden extinction.

Changes in environmental factors are things that dinosaurs - and animals before and after the Mesozoic - have always managed to adapt to, some more than others, depending on location and evolutionary adaptations that suddenly become fortuitous.

What is much, much harder - or impossible, to overcome - is a complete, sudden, world-wide catastrophe.  And that is exactly the scenario that was served up by the Chixculub asteroid strike.  A rain of suffocating fire and boiling temperatures, followed by acid rain and a several-year long "hard freeze".

Animals capable of burrowing and hibernating (birds, snakes, crocs, small mammals, etc) were able to survive.  But those strategies were not available to the animals that dominated the food chain, because their lifestyle/size/warm blooded body design did not require it - prior to the asteroid strike.

This analysis is the only one that made complete sense ever since Alvarez announced the discovery of the Iridium layer, because anything less than an apocalyptic scenario would not have resulted in the kind of complete die-off of any terrestrial animal larger than a cat virtually instantaneously, as the geologic record indicates.

Really, the only issues in this debate for the past 36 years have had to do with piecing together the physical scenario of the immediate results of the asteroid strike.  The global-conflagration was known from soot deposits as far back as the 1980s (when I recall first reading about them).  More sophisticated analyses since then have only added to the cataclysmic scenario of horrors that were the immediate result of the asteroid impact.

ZoPteryx

I agree with the general sentiment this extremely rapid scenario is probably too extreme, at least globally.

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 12, 2017, 08:45:03 AM
There is also a serious issue with the "lag" zone....the evidence does not seem to match this scenario ...only one (1) triceratops horn has ever been found  even close to the iridium layer....

There is also an undescribed mostly articulated ornithomimid from "the gap".

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: ZoPteryx on September 05, 2017, 06:18:50 AM
I agree with the general sentiment this extremely rapid scenario is probably too extreme, at least globally.

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 12, 2017, 08:45:03 AM

There is also an undescribed mostly articulated ornithomimid from "the gap".
without knowing the particular specimen or it circumstances, I would be quite ....skeptical of what layer or how it was found until it has been described and is determined as not having been reworked or in some way shuffled within the geological context. There was an entire pocket of dinosaur fossils described as being above the iridium layer at one point until it ws found the entire strata had been reworked ...in essence a tectonic type event shuffled the layers.
   Those most fond of the impact event and its supposed "fire and brimstone" death scenario ignore various pieces of evidence like the gap....and that the evidence suggest a rain of mud and water rather than fire and ash. Aside from this, if the dinosaurs had all died within a few hours we would find a layer heavily choked with dead fauna and biomass, which is to date not known as existent. Aside from the obvious question..if you incinerate and eliminate nearly all plant and surface fauna, just how was anything supposed to breathe? Their are serious issues and always have been with a single impact, rapid decimation answer.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.