You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Reptilia polls: your favourite 2017 figure (major brands only)

Started by Reptilia, August 04, 2017, 09:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Select your favourite figure for 2017, from Collecta, Papo, Safari Ltd and Schleich.

Collecta Basilosaurus
1 (2.4%)
Collecta Deinocheirus
0 (0%)
Collecta Dimorphodon
2 (4.8%)
Collecta Einiosaurus
1 (2.4%)
Collecta Excalibosaurus
1 (2.4%)
Collecta Gigantspinosaurus
0 (0%)
Collecta Kronosaurus
1 (2.4%)
Collecta Regaliceratops
0 (0%)
Collecta Styracosaurus
0 (0%)
Collecta Uintatherium
0 (0%)
Papo Acrocanthosaurus
3 (7.1%)
Papo Cave bear
0 (0%)
Papo Ceratosaurus
1 (2.4%)
Papo Cryolophosaurus
3 (7.1%)
Papo Dimorphodon
0 (0%)
Papo Polacanthus
0 (0%)
Papo Roaring Smilodon
0 (0%)
Safari Ltd Coelophysis
0 (0%)
Safari Ltd Deinocheirus
1 (2.4%)
Safari Ltd Diplodocus
0 (0%)
Safari Ltd Einiosaurus
4 (9.5%)
Safari Ltd Giganotosaurus
6 (14.3%)
Safari Ltd Kronosaurus
0 (0%)
Safari Ltd Microraptor
1 (2.4%)
Safari Ltd Parasaurolophus
0 (0%)
Safari Ltd Psittacosaurus
1 (2.4%)
Safari Ltd Quetzalcoatlus
0 (0%)
Safari Ltd Tylosaurus
0 (0%)
Safari Ltd Tyrannosaurus
11 (26.2%)
Safari Ltd Velociraptor
4 (9.5%)
Schleich Acrocanthosaurus
1 (2.4%)
Schleich Allosaurus
0 (0%)
Schleich Brachiosaurus
0 (0%)
Schleich Carnotaurus
0 (0%)
Schleich Kentrosaurus
0 (0%)
Schleich Tyrannosaurus
0 (0%)
Schleich Utahraptor
0 (0%)
Schleich Velociraptor
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Reptilia

Here's an informal poll for the best 2017 figure, just for fun. I guess a more exhaustive one will come at the end of the year, including all brands.

Irritation

Schleich: Utahraptor
Papo: Tie between Polacanthus, Acrocanthosaurus, Ceratosaurus, and Cryolophosaurus
Safari LTD: Einiosaurus
CollectA: Einiosaurus and Gigantspinosaurus

Lanthanotus

Schleich: Yeah, try harder next time.... but if one to choose... Stegosaurus.
Papo: Ceratosaurus
Safari: Psittacosaurus
PNSO: Mamenchisaurus
Single best for 2017... CollectA Dimorphodon.

Faelrin

My favorites from this year:
Schleich: Either the Stegosaurus, Kentrosaurus, or the Utahraptor.
Safari LTD: Hands down the Feathered Tyrannosaurus, though the Feathered Velociraptor is a close second. Though I really liked most of their releases this year.
Papo: I really liked the Cryolophosaurus the most, even though the color scheme was copied from the Sideshow Ceratosaurus.
CollectA: Either the Dimorphodon or the Styracosaurus, though to be honest I liked the prehistoric marine tube the most of their releases this year.

Edit: If including Rebor into the picture, I really liked the Carnotaurus, even though inaccurate, and I think the Deinonychus clan were from this year too? If so I also liked those. At least for the ones released so far this year.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Jose S.M.

for me it's:

Schleich: Stegosaurus.
Wild Safari: Einiosaurus (I know other figures are more impressive but it's about our personal favorites).
Papo: Acrocanthosaurus.
CollectA: Dimorphodon it's the best, even if I'm not getting it yet.

Kaprosaurus

Schleich: Utahraptor,because it's feathered
Papo: Cave Bear,even if it's not out yet
Safari Ltd.: Microraptor
Collecta: Excalibosaurus,Collecta did it right,it could probably be the look of the creature itself,just small.

stargatedalek

I'd call it a stretch to exclude Kaiyodo and REBOR as "major brands" while including CollectA, who's distribution is comparable (in function at least) to Kaiyodo's, and Schleich, who's as niche oriented if not moreso than REBOR (even if that niche is for a broader audience [that being small children]).

Colorata, Hasbro, and Takara Tomy aren't exactly small by any means either even if their selection of extinct figures released this year was.

You also missed the CollectA sea-life set and all of the Schleich sets.

Neosodon

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 05, 2017, 04:43:00 AM
I'd call it a stretch to exclude Kaiyodo and REBOR as "major brands" while including CollectA, who's distribution is comparable (in function at least) to Kaiyodo's, and Schleich, who's as niche oriented if not moreso than REBOR (even if that niche is for a broader audience [that being small children]).

Colorata, Hasbro, and Takara Tomy aren't exactly small by any means either even if their selection of extinct figures released this year was.

You also missed the CollectA sea-life set and all of the Schleich sets.
The brands Reptilia picked are exactly what I would have picked. All 4 companies mass produce their figures, and they are affordable and easily available to the public. Collecta's distribution problem is only temporary (I hope) but even so they are still mass producing quality figures at reasonable prices. Most of the other brands you listed I'm not even familiar with and I've never seen any of them up for sale anywhere. The sets are left out because they contain multiple figures. The poll is which is the best single figure.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

ceratopsian

I found it exceptionally hard to pick out a single best figure for 2017.  There have been a lot of really good figures this time round.  I love the CollectA Dimorphodon, their Einiosaurus and their Gigantspinosaurus.  I'm hugely pleased with the Safari Einiosaurus.  But on balance the Safari Giganotosaurus edged ahead (despite my normal preference for herbivores!)  When it arrived, I couldn't get over how much better it was than the photos.  It has a massive presence - sleek, lethal looking, full of dynamic movement.  Pleasing colour scheme.  And it looks hefty - I believe it has real weight on its feet, emphasised by how its feet sink into its base.  (And unlike my somewhat unstable Safari T. rex, it has no problems staying upright.)

Reptilia

Quote from: Kaprosaurus on August 05, 2017, 02:01:19 AM
Papo: Cave Bear,even if it's not out yet

Cave bear is out:
https://www.urzeitshop.de/de/papo/3016-hoehlenbaer-spielzeug-von-papo-3465000550660.html
https://www.spielzeug-guenstig.de/Papo-Cave-bear-55066.html

Quote from: Neosodon on August 05, 2017, 03:35:58 PM
The brands Reptilia picked are exactly what I would have picked. All 4 companies mass produce their figures, and they are affordable and easily available to the public. Collecta's distribution problem is only temporary (I hope) but even so they are still mass producing quality figures at reasonable prices. Most of the other brands you listed I'm not even familiar with and I've never seen any of them up for sale anywhere. The sets are left out because they contain multiple figures. The poll is which is the best single figure.

Exactly my reasoning.

Shonisaurus

The choice is very difficult there have been big dinosaur figures this year. I have chosen tyrannosaurus rex feathered from Safari.

Although they do not have to envy tyrannosaurus rex feathered in genius Collecta dimorphodon, feathered velociraptor Safari, acrocanthosaurus Papo, cryolophosaurus Papo, giganotosaurus Safari or deinocheirus Collecta and Papo or kronosaurus Collecta and perhaps to a lesser extent the Safari for a few examples, this Year has been full in figures, should also be among those figures Favorite or PNSO whose mamenchisaurus has been epic.

John

Choosing the best one of this year's group is hard...especially with many of my childhood favorite species turning up across 3 brands this time around...
but the biggest contenders in my opinion are Safari Ltd.'s Tylosaurus
and CollectA's Dimorphodon. ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

ZoPteryx

Definitely the Safari Tyrannosaurus.  It's just such an imposing and detailed figure!

IrritatorRaji

For me, it's :

Schleich: Honestly none, but if I had to choose, Brachiosaurus
Safari LTD: Tyrannosaurus
Papo: Acrocanthosaurus, one of my altime faves
CollectA: Dimorphodon

sauroid

i would consider Mojo Fun as one of the major brands tho.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.