You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

TRex speed recalculated (the King was faster than reported *maybe*)

Started by Simon, September 13, 2017, 05:06:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

Here's the blurb - the article itself seems to be behind a "paywall", you can check for yourself (link below quote):

"Formation (Maastrichtian), Wyoming" (Smith et al., Cretaceous Research, v. 61, pp. 1–4, 2016)
    Javier Ruiz
    Departamento de Geodinámica, Facultad de Ciencias Geológicas, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, 28040 Madrid, Spain
    Received 19 April 2017, Revised 10 May 2017, Accepted 16 May 2017, Available online 12 September 2017
        https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cretres.2017.05.033

Refers To

Sean D. Smith, W. Scott Persons IV, Lida Xing
        A tyrannosaur trackway at Glenrock, Lance Formation (Maastrichtian), Wyoming
        Cretaceous Research, Volume 61, June 2016, Pages 1-4

Abstract

The paper by Smith et al. (2016) included speed calculations performed from a tyrannosaur trackway at Glenrock, Lance Formation, Wyoming. These authors concluded that tyrannosaurs walked in speeds similar to those obtained for other large theropod, but faster than proposed for hadrosaurids, a potential prey. However, the calculations performed by Smith et al. (2016) suffered from methodological and computational errors, which greatly affected the reported results. Here I show that when speeds are correctly calculated from the Glenrock trackway, the obtained values are clearly (about 50–80 percent) higher than the wrong values quoted by these authors. This support even more a significant speed capability for tyrannosaurs that claimed by Smith et al. (2016)."

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195667117301891

CityRaptor

Yep, I told you so.

Quote from: CityRaptor on July 19, 2017, 10:10:04 AM
Nothing new. And in a few months or so, there will be a study contradicting this one. That is how it usually goes.

"Science ruins dinosaurs again."
Needs lots of grunting, shouting and exclamation marks.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Huskies

I 've never thought that t-rex is a slow animal. Gregory S. Paul also said in his book that the ankles are designed differently from slow animal like elephants. Seeing it hunts would be a sight to be hold. ^-^

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.