News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Best putty or filler?

Started by stargatedalek, July 23, 2016, 07:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

Been having difficulties with my 3D printer, and while I think I've gotten the bugs worked out I really don't want to redo this entire print. I didn't realize it was so badly warped until assembling it (using glue just my luck). So I'm wondering what putty would be best to fill it with, it needs to be something that air drys without releasing fumes, but other than that it doesn't really matter since it's just for filling a small gap like this.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I use Aves Apoxie Sculpt:
https://www.amazon.com/Apoxie-Sculpt-1-Lb-White/dp/B0013UDWXI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469303549&sr=8-1&keywords=apoxie
A pound goes a long way. I bought some over two years ago and I still have half of it left. On a side note, that's a really good print for a household printer!
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Doug Watson

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 23, 2016, 07:55:27 PM
Been having difficulties with my 3D printer, and while I think I've gotten the bugs worked out I really don't want to redo this entire print. I didn't realize it was so badly warped until assembling it (using glue just my luck). So I'm wondering what putty would be best to fill it with, it needs to be something that air drys without releasing fumes, but other than that it doesn't really matter since it's just for filling a small gap like this.

I sculpt my figures out of Magic Sculpt which is similar to Aves, except I found Magic Sculpt easier to work with. Another product that you can get in smaller amounts is Milliput, what is good about it is most Hobby Shops carry it so you may be able to get some locally without paying for shipping. People that do those metal military figures use it. It is a two part epoxy putty like Magic Sculpt and Aves so cures rather than dries. Being epoxy it also bonds well to numerous materials.
You can also get it through Amazon.ca https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_8?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=milliput+epoxy+putty&sprefix=Milliput%2Caps%2C167

pylraster

Taimya quick dry putty. Been using it on my model kits as well as customized action figures.

Papi-Anon

I use Milliput Fine White. Air-dries without fumes and has a 1hr working time (once mixed) to sculpt any fine details needed, plus it can be softened longer with application of water.
Shapeways Store: The God-Fodder
DeviantArt: Papi-Anon
Cults3D: Papi-Anon

"They said I could be whatever I wanted to be when I evolved. So I decided to be a crocodile."
-Ambulocetus, 47.8–41.3mya

Derek.McManus

Milliput ( comes in three grades)  or Green stuff are useful modelling putties to have hand, air drying and clean to use but always wash your hands afterwards!

stargatedalek

Can't believe I never replied! Thanks for the advice, I decided to go with Milliput and I enjoyed it so much I decided to try out Aves as well.

Newt

Just a word of warning about Aves: it's a little smellier than Milliput (but nowhere near as smelly as, say, plumber's epoxy). I don't find the odor offensive but others do. Also, if you get a big batch, keep it in the refrigerator or freezer to prolong shelf life. I've been using Aves to sculpt with and it's fun!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.