News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Lost Prehistoric Line Figurines

Started by Dinoxels, September 17, 2020, 03:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinoxels

Hello, as collector who began collecting in late 2018 a thought came to my mind today that I wanted to inquire about.
Has there ever been a prehistoric line figure released that has almost never showed up on Ebay (and other 3rd party sellers) in modern times? As I know that sometimes media becomes "Lost Media", and considering the abundance of prehistoric figurines I assume this has happened with them as well.
Does anybody know of any "lost" prehistoric figurines?

Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Dinoxels on September 17, 2020, 03:31:48 PM
Hello, as collector who began collecting in late 2018 a thought came to my mind today that I wanted to inquire about.
Has there ever been a prehistoric line figure released that has almost never showed up on Ebay (and other 3rd party sellers) in modern times? As I know that sometimes media becomes "Lost Media", and considering the abundance of prehistoric figurines I assume this has happened with them as well.

I'd be very interested to know if there are any. I guess the question is, if they never show up even rarely on eBay etc., how would we know they exist? Old catalogs I guess. But I bet any lost lines would have had very limited production runs and therefore probably not much of a paper trail. Anything with normal production runs would at least be found in lots of vintage figures at least occasionally, and there are lots of ways to ID stuff nowadays. Maybe we should compile a list of unsolved mysteries ffrom the Figure Identification thread and look for cantidates...
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Dinoxels

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on September 17, 2020, 05:36:37 PM
Quote from: Dinoxels on September 17, 2020, 03:31:48 PM

I'd be very interested to know if there are any. I guess the question is, if they never show up even rarely on eBay etc., how would we know they exist? Old catalogs I guess. But I bet any lost lines would have had very limited production runs and therefore probably not much of a paper trail. Anything with normal production runs would at least be found in lots of vintage figures at least occasionally, and there are lots of ways to ID stuff nowadays. Maybe we should compile a list of unsolved mysteries ffrom the Figure Identification thread and look for cantidates...
Good idea. Gonna do some research on there.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

BlueKrono

There are indeed. A few lines are so rare I've never seen a single example come up for sale on eBay in the two decades I've been on it. Messmore & Damon from the 30's were made of brittle pot metal, and most have simply disintegrated in the 90 years since. I've never seen a Niels Norvil or an Adopt-A-Pet, though I've searched diligently. The rarest might be the Crystal Palace dinosaurs, the earliest line of dinosaurs ever produced by half a century. They were made of plaster, and up to 23" long, though it's unknown if any still exist. If you're interested in perusing every line of prehistorics known to man, renowned collector Joe DeMarco spent many years producing a compendium of them. It's a great resource.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Halichoeres

Quote from: BlueKrono on September 17, 2020, 07:34:37 PM
There are indeed. A few lines are so rare I've never seen a single example come up for sale on eBay in the two decades I've been on it. Messmore & Damon from the 30's were made of brittle pot metal, and most have simply disintegrated in the 90 years since. I've never seen a Niels Norvil or an Adopt-A-Pet, though I've searched diligently. The rarest might be the Crystal Palace dinosaurs, the earliest line of dinosaurs ever produced by half a century. They were made of plaster, and up to 23" long, though it's unknown if any still exist. If you're interested in perusing every line of prehistorics known to man, renowned collector Joe DeMarco spent many years producing a compendium of them. It's a great resource.

Yeah, I've never seen the Niels Norvils. That antiarch is very intriguing, though. I've only seen Lanier figures come up on eBay once or twice, and maybe half a dozen for Chialu. The ones in my collection came through more informal means.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.