News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PhD study finds new clues about pterosaur diets

Started by Ravonium, January 06, 2018, 12:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ravonium

A new PhD study, analysing the teeth of 11 pterosaur species, has found out some potential clues about their diets.

Link to the article on this subject: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-00080-y

stargatedalek

None of this actually comes as news, frankly I don't think anyone who knew what they were saying has claimed Dimorphodon was a piscivore in decades.

WarrenJB

Yeah, what SGD said. It's interesting to see the conclusions and anticipate what the method might uncover in future (gonna be honest, I thought it was going to be about carbon isotopes) but the writer of the article has the 'overturning cherished ideas' bit followed by a lot  of 'confirming what scientists thought'.

suspsy

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 06, 2018, 05:18:28 PM
None of this actually comes as news, frankly I don't think anyone who knew what they were saying has claimed Dimorphodon was a piscivore in decades.

Yeah, when I was reading up on Dimorphodon for my review of the 2017 CollectA figure, I didn't come across any claims about it eating fish.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Halichoeres

There is value in providing statistical support for informed speculation. Just because a result doesn't surprise you doesn't mean it's nothing new; what is new is the use of micro-wear to validate hunches, which had the potential to falsify those hunches. The choice of Dimorphodon-as-fish-eater in this short write-up of the paper is unfortunate, but 'twas ever thus in summaries of academic papers.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ZoPteryx

I'm more interested in the omnivorous Pterodactylus the article mentions!  I wonder, do they truly mean omnivorous, as in eating plants+animals, or do they just mean it was a generalist carnivore?  ???

stargatedalek

Quote from: ZoPteryx on January 09, 2018, 07:23:19 AM
I'm more interested in the omnivorous Pterodactylus the article mentions!  I wonder, do they truly mean omnivorous, as in eating plants+animals, or do they just mean it was a generalist carnivore?  ???
That's the problem, this article is so written that it's hard to tell how versed this person is or how much they deviated from the paper itself. It could very well be that they think eating terrestrial vertebrates and fish/insects makes something an omnivore.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.