News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Pterosaurs stayed diverse until the very end

Started by Halichoeres, March 14, 2018, 12:58:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Until very recently pretty much all the pterosaurs known from the Maastrichtian (the latest part of the Cretaceous) were azhdarchids. A new site from the Maastrichtian of North Africa shows 7 (!!!) species of pterosaur, including the latest known pteranodontid and nyctosaurids.

Paper (open access): http://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.2001663

Unfortunately, while the remains are diagnosable, they don't give full pictures of the animals.

New genera:
Tethydraco: a humerus
Alcione: partial skeleton, no head on the holotype, although there is a mandible from a referred specimen
Simurghia: a humerus
Barbaridactylus: partial skeleton, no head

Also at the site: azhdarchid fragments referred to Phosphatodraco, and azhdarchid fragments similar to but not formally referred to Arambourgiana and Quetzalcoatlus.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ITdactyl

Thanks for sharing the link:
learned 3 things (2 of which surprised me)
1. That there are azhdarchid remains associated with marine environments.  So they weren't all just terrestrial stalkers - yay diversity.
2. pteranodontid and nyctosaurid wing configurations are quite different.  I always got the impression nyctosaurids (despite the crests and missing fingers) were just scaled down versions of pteranodon.  :o
3.  there's a giant hell creek azhdarchid that's [probably] not quetzalcoatlus.  :o

Hopefully findings like these also lead to more figures in unique (not spread eagle - sorry for the bird related term) poses.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.