You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Largest Ichthyosaur Ever Discovered!

Started by suspsy, April 10, 2018, 12:40:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SBell

Hopefully, once the material is compiled better, we will have a better understanding of its life habits.

Faelrin

I didn't think I'd ever hear about an icthyosaur being this huge. Granted I wasn't even aware that Shonisaurus was that big to begin with. I really ought to do some more research on these.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

mgaguilar

If I read that correctly, they previously mistakenly assumed that several of the fossils were from terrestrial individuals?
Wow, this might yield some pretty amazing discoveries.

Halichoeres

The actual fossil:

It's fragmentary enough that, yes, based on its size it was assumed to be a dinosaur or something.

Paper is open access: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article/figure/image?size=large&id=info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0194742.g005
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Archosauria

Wow, and I thought Shonisaurus was large!
Incredible discovery!
"Dinosaurs may be extinct from the face of the earth, but they are alive and well in our imaginations"

-Steve Miller

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Prehistory Resurrection

It may be Shastasaurus if I am not mistaken, a new specimen, or a new genus of itchthyosaur.

Lone Trike

I wonder if these huge Ichthyosaurs were filter feeders, as most huge marine animals today are.
model kits available at: Instagram at LoneTrikeStudio Shapeways

ITdactyl

It would be neat if they were filter feeders.  On that note, have any ichthyosaurs ever been described as filter-feeders?  In my mind, with all the calamari floating around, the large ones would most likely be suction feeders.

Lone Trike

I like the idea of them being basically giant vacuum cleaners :)) I just googled it and found this National Geographic article. Shonisaurus sikanniensis is mentioned there a filter-feeder. However the scientific paper by Nicholls and Manabe, the article is based on, is not open-access unfortunately!
model kits available at: Instagram at LoneTrikeStudio Shapeways

Neosodon

Quote from: ITdactyl on April 18, 2018, 11:32:17 AM
It would be neat if they were filter feeders.  On that note, have any ichthyosaurs ever been described as filter-feeders?  In my mind, with all the calamari floating around, the large ones would most likely be suction feeders.
I'd like to see an artists rendition of a filter feeding icthyosaur. Would they still have long narrow beaks?

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

stegosauria

Not all recent giant marine creature is filter-feeder. The sperm whale hunts squids and it can grow up to 20 metres in length. The first whales also were active fish eaters and I wouldn't consider Basilosaurus as a small creature.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.