You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Another overinterpreted spinosaurid fossil

Started by Halichoeres, May 04, 2018, 04:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

A tibia from a lower Cretaceous Brazilian spinosaurid shows high density (osteosclerosis) and is hence interpreted as suggesting a semi-aquatic lifestyle.

Nice art, though:

This might be paywalled, depending on where you are, but if so you know what to do: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195667117305153
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ITdactyl

Feeesh!!! "Burddd!!!"  NOM!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist.  But I agree, that's some nice art.  Still weird (for me) seeing sparse proto feathers on a big spinosaurid though - even if there's the slight possibility there did have feathers.

As for the topic of the paper - if we eventually find that relatively dense [limb] bones are a [defining] group trait of spinosaurids, then this is as good a start as any.

Reptilia

I'd call them more scaly protrusions, if it makes any sense, rather than proto feathers.

Smilodon P.

It is not the free article, but presents two of the responsibles for the paper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYqe9j9jjOI

(Don't forget the subtitles)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.