You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

A probably herbivorous acanthomorph fish from the Cretaceous of Morocco

Started by Halichoeres, June 01, 2018, 10:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

A gut trace has been preserved of the Cretaceous freshwater acanthomorph (perchlike fish) Spinocaudichthys oumkoutensis. It's long and convoluted, suggesting that the fish was at least partially herbivorous (carnivores have shorter, straighter intestines). Acanthomorphs are almost certainly primitively carnivorous, so advanced teleosts were evidently already diversifying ecologically before the K-Pg.

Paper (open access):https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-26744-3
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Mini Minmi

I'm so impressed by the amount of details in some fossils like this that keep traces of soft tissue. It's fascinating.

ZoPteryx

Newt

Nice! Looks a lot like the guts in my beloved Chrosomus daces, which are largely algivorous.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.