You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

T. rex Couldn’t Stick Its Tongue Out?

Started by suspsy, June 21, 2018, 01:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

https://m.phys.org/news/2018-06-rex-couldnt-tongue.html

Not really a shock, but it'll be something to remember for future theropod reviews!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

IrritatorRaji

Was really surprised to find this out. Dinosaurs just get even more bizzare by the minute!
Also I'm pretty sure Ornithischians could still stuck out their tongues?

CityRaptor

My life has been a lie! Okay, not really. But I expect some hardcore JP fan somewhere out there whining that science is ruining Dinosaurs once again.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Ravonium

Quote from: suspsy on June 21, 2018, 01:26:14 PM
Not really a shock

Agreed. Crocodilians can't stick out their tongue, so I think T. rex not being able to stick out its tongue makes sense*

*To those who are going to say that "Birds are better analogues for T. rex than crocodiles", I agree with you in terms of many dinosaur behaviours (e.g. movement, breeding), but I don't think it is as clear cut in T. rex as it is in more derived theropods. The mouth of T. rex is, in nearly all aspects, more like that of a crocodile than a bird, especially inside it.

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on June 21, 2018, 02:26:54 PM
Was really surprised to find this out. Dinosaurs just get even more bizzare by the minute!
Also I'm pretty sure Ornithischians could still stuck out their tongues?

I found another writeup of this here: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/06/180620150129.htm

TL;DR The researchers found that, yes, ornithscians (as well as pterosaurs and derived bird-like dinosaurs) had more complex tongues.

Faelrin

Ah yes, now my Mattel Extreme Chomping Tyrannosaurus will be a fair reminder that it's not supposed to be able to do that when I open its mouth. Of course it's a JP/JW toy so it may as well slide, but I think its funny. Now I also get that the T. rex probably didn't roar like it did in JP, but would this be more evidence against that sort of thing too?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: Faelrin on June 21, 2018, 04:54:21 PM
Ah yes, now my Mattel Extreme Chomping Tyrannosaurus will be a fair reminder that it's not supposed to be able to do that when I open its mouth.

To be fair, the JP/JW Tyrannosaurs have many more scientific inaccuracies than just a tongue :P

CityRaptor

Well, even Jurassic Park/World media aknowledges that it is not accurate.  But yeah, I'm thinking of the waterfall scenes in both, the original novel and TLW movie. The miracle of frog DNA.
Oh no

Syndicate Bias

Yea i saw these news yesterday. This is exactly what i mean when people call something accurate and then months or years later its Innacurate. The tongue being one. That's why i think people should say "what is currently perceived as accurate" when they talk accuracy because our views on dinosaurs change very often.

John

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on June 21, 2018, 05:51:26 PM
Yea i saw these news yesterday. This is exactly what i mean when people call something accurate and then months or years later its Innacurate. The tongue being one. That's why i think people should say "what is currently perceived as accurate" when they talk accuracy because our views on dinosaurs change very often.
Accuracy by nature automatically means what is currently perceived to be right.
This study seems more like a narrowing down of possibilities to the most likely one than a case of "everything you thought you knew is wrong" since I've already seen theropod dinosaurs reconstructed with more crocodile like tongues like Kaiyodo's 1/20 scale Allosaurus from 1992 that was rereleased in 2012.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Dilopho

Quote from: CityRaptor on June 21, 2018, 05:35:11 PM
Well, even Jurassic Park/World media aknowledges that it is not accurate.  But yeah, I'm thinking of the waterfall scenes in both, the original novel and TLW movie. The miracle of frog DNA.
Imagine if they could shoot out their tongues like frogs (well..I know frog's don't have long chameleon-esque tongues in real life, but still...)

This whole thing reminds me of that one Albertosaurus statue

Ravonium

I don't think this is an 'accurate or inaccurate' issue here. I think the reason dinosaur-related entertainment tends to have dinosaurs stick out their tongues is because they think it looks 'awesome'.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is, there were no scientists who believed that dinosaurs actually stuck out their tongues. They (and the general public) simply overlooked tongues on dinosaurs as a minor detail.

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: Ravonium on June 21, 2018, 07:24:35 PM

I don't think this is an 'accurate or inaccurate' issue here. I think the reason dinosaur-related entertainment tends to have dinosaurs stick out their tongues is because they think it looks 'awesome'.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is, there were no scientists who believed that dinosaurs actually stuck out their tongues. They (and the general public) simply overlooked tongues on dinosaurs as a minor detail.

Everything i knew about dinosaurs was a LIE. Well not everything but so much i am starting to just accept the fact that alot of things can change and by change i mean we find how an ancient animal actually looked like.

Needless to say i like the new findings. i guess little by little

Dilopho

Quote from: Syndicate Bias link=topic=6975.msg206654#msg206654

Everything i knew about dinosaurs was a LIE. Well not everything but so much i am starting to just accept the fact that alot of things can change and by change i mean we find how an ancient animal actually looked like.

Needless to say i like the new findings. i guess little by little

It's not a lie. We just find out new things. ^-^

tyrantqueen

Quote from: CityRaptor on June 21, 2018, 02:39:58 PM
My life has been a lie! Okay, not really. But I expect some hardcore JP fan somewhere out there whining that science is ruining Dinosaurs once again.

I don't even like JP all that much, but I don't see why they would complain about such a thing. I just did a quick google search for the JP T. rex and the vast majority of the images show it with its tongue lying flat, not flapping around.

Looks pretty flat to me.

Also, I don't know why, but that T. rex's lazy eye creeps me out a bit.

CityRaptor

Probably because of "bedroom eyes".

Like I mentioned before, there are two scenes this makes impossible. Here is the on from TLW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6JUxotQxtM

Starts at 2:33.
Oh no

Faelrin

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on June 21, 2018, 05:11:54 PM
Quote from: Faelrin on June 21, 2018, 04:54:21 PM
Ah yes, now my Mattel Extreme Chomping Tyrannosaurus will be a fair reminder that it's not supposed to be able to do that when I open its mouth.

To be fair, the JP/JW Tyrannosaurs have many more scientific inaccuracies than just a tongue :P

I know, but it's just one more thing its got going against it, lol, but science marches on.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Syndicate Bias

Wont be long before Nanotyrannus turns out to be a juvenile t rex.  ;D

I don't follow up on that particular dinosaur so if any need came up i missed them

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.