You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

First Dinosaurs Discovered On Each Continent?

Started by Loon, June 07, 2018, 08:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

Hi everyone, I'm working on a personal project that involves the first dinosaur fossils discovered on each continent: Antarctica, Africa, Australia, Asia, Europe, and both South and North America. However, I'm a little stumped and could use some help.

So far I've gathered these:

North America - Hadrosaurus (Maybe?)
Europe - Megalosaurus
Africa - Paranthodon (At least in South Africa)
Antarctica - Antarctopelta

Newt

I believe Antarctosaurus wichmannianus was the first dinosaur described from South America (1929). Not sure about Asia, but I suspect it would be one of Lydekker's Indian discoveries, such as Titanosaurus.

Dinoguy2

Do you want first discovered or first named? Those might be different in some cases. For example, the a Connecticut Valley footprints ("Ornithichnites") predate Hadrosaurs by a long time. Deinodon was named in 1856, Hadrosaurus was named in 1858, but Hadrosaurus was discovered earlier, in 1836, but not necessarily recognized as a dinosaur.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Loon

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on June 10, 2018, 05:30:30 PM
Do you want first discovered or first named? Those might be different in some cases. For example, the a Connecticut Valley footprints ("Ornithichnites") predate Hadrosaurs by a long time.
First discovered is what I'm looking for.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Loon on June 10, 2018, 05:33:24 PM
Do you want first discovered or first named? Those might be different in some cases. For example, the a Connecticut Valley footprints ("Ornithichnites") predate Hadrosaurs by a long time.

Ok, then do you mean discovered and recognized as a dinosaur? Hadrosaurus was dug up in 1838 but the guy kept it in his house and I doubt he knew it was a "dinosaur". It was recognized as a dinosaur in 1858, but in the mean time other dinosaur fossils had been identified from North America, like Deinodon and Trachodon.

Loon

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on June 10, 2018, 05:40:55 PM

Ok, then do you mean discovered and recognized as a dinosaur? Hadrosaurus was dug up in 1838 but the guy kept it in his house and I doubt he knew it was a "dinosaur". It was recognized as a dinosaur in 1858, but in the mean time other dinosaur fossils had been identified from North America, like Deinodon and Trachodon.
I think first named would actually be more appropriate, now that I think about it. Sorry for being so vague before.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Loon on June 10, 2018, 05:42:54 PM
Quote from: Dinoguy2 on June 10, 2018, 05:40:55 PM

I think first named would actually be more appropriate, now that I think about it. Sorry for being so vague before.

Then it would be Leidy's tooth taxa from Judith River for North America. Deinodon, Trachodon, etc. named in 1856. However, to add another complication, the type specimen of Anchisaurus was found before them in 1855, but not described until 1863 and not named until 1865!

Brontozaurus

For Australia, the first dinosaur discovered was a theropod claw from Cape Paterson in Victoria, found in 1903. The first dinosaur named seems to be Rhoetosaurus, in 1926.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.